General help

me in the sun
blanking completion dependencies

In 'Edit course completion settings' I'd like to select a blank option from the drop-down list in course dependencies, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

Can this option be made blank or temporarily removed?

Once you've created other courses it seems to be mandatory that you have to select a course/courses that a learner is required to complete before this course can be marked as complete, even if no mandatory courses are required.

The message "Course completion criteria must be set for a course to appear in this list" appears which indicates that perhaps if I changed the course completion criteria for courses then they would not appear. Unfortunately course completion criteria are required for courses.

Cheers
James

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: blanking completion dependencies
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I don't think it is mandatory that you have to select a course - you just don't click into that box and select one.

me in the sun

Thanks for the reply Mary.

Your solution seems very straightforward, though I'm not sure I was allowed not to select a course. I'll try to leave that section of  the course completion settings next time I create a course.

James

me in the sun

Unfortunately if another available course has been set to have course completion criteria it appears in this list.

There is no blank (or 'none') option within the 'courses available' drop-down list so the box cannot be left blank, i.e. a course is automatically chosen from the list even if I don't select a course.

Back to the drawing board...

Picture of Aaron Barnes
Group Developers

Hi James,

Unfortunately there is an open bug for this http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-27114 which has yet to be completed (my fault).

In the meantime, the problem I believe you are having is that the form does not recognise a non-empty select box with nothing selected. Currently the only work around is to delete the course and create a new one.

Sorry for the bad news! I'll do my best to have another look at the patch soon.

Aaron

Picture of Mia M

not sure I completely understand which course to delete -- the one that is the prerequisite or the one that is dependent on it?

me in the sun

Hi Mia

I created a new dummy course and made this the prerequisite course for all courses. Once I had assigned this to all the courses I then deleted the dummy course. I went back into each course and clicked save. The result of this is that 'completion dependencies' is not selected in any course.

It's a slightly clunky workaround but it does work. I'm looking forward to this bug being fixed.

Regards
James

me!

To deselect a course dependency in Course Completion, [Ctrl] + click and the course is no longer highlighted or a dependency.

Picture of Matt Nagy

I've found that this actually doesn't work. It pretends to work, but after you save the settings, it goes right back to having the previously selected course dependency.