Remove all conditions from all quizzes?

Remove all conditions from all quizzes?

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 6

I'm using Moodle 1.9+ and Quizport:

I have a course with many quizzes in many Quizports. These all have pre- and post-conditions that are working fine.

I want a second version with No Conditions, so teachers can more easily preview it.

Is there a way I can remove All pre- and post-conditions from ALL quizzes at once, without opening every Quizport separately and doing it there?

I can't find this option in the Edit All Quizzes grid.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: Remove all conditions from all quizzes?

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gerald,

You can do it quite easily from the Edit quizzes page.

Choose one exercise and make the settings as you want.

Select this exercise as Default, make sure the values you want to apply are selected (ticked) in the top row.

Below where it says: The following actions are available

Select Apply selected default values

Select the name of the course you want the settings to apply to.

In the example below, the settings of Exercise 8 will be applied to all the exercises (several hundred) in the QuizPorts in the Grammar course when the Go button is clicked on.

Cheers,

Glenys

Attachment 2012-11-18 16-54-36.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gerald Grow -

Glenys, I believe the procedure you describe so well works within a single Quizport.

I have about 100 Quizports, and I'm hoping for a way to change all of them at once, without having to follow the above procedure 100 times!

The Edit All Quizzes grid lets you change ALL quizzes in certain ways, but not apparently to remove all conditions.

I've gone and removed all the conditions by hand now, but I'd still like to know if there is a less labor-intensive way to do this in the future.

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi again Gerald,

I think I see your misunderstanding.

When you open the dropdown menu "All" refers to all the courses on your Moodle site, not to all the all the exercises/quizzes in a QuizPort. On the Moodle site of my association "Grammar" is just one of several courses.

To decide which setting you want to apply (Site wide, Course wide or just QuizPort wide) you have to first set them in your chosen Default exercise/quiz.

I hope that the screenshot below makes it clearer that it is the setting of the Default Exercise 8 (which has no Pre-conditions or Post-conditions) which will be applied to to the "Grammar Course" (just one of several courses on the Moodle site) which contains many QuizPorts each in turn containing many Hot Potatoes exercises.

If, say, Exercise 2 had been selected as Default, all exercises in all QuizPorts on the Grammar Course would have the Pre-condition "Previous quiz" & the Post-condition "a score of 80% on Exercise 2. If applied to all the QuizPorts in the course it would cause disaster!

Applying default values course wide is a very powerful tool and should be tested locally before trying out on an active site. This is especially true if, like me, you have a large number of QuizPorts and exercises developed over many years with many different criteria for determining the optimum settings. Mistakes can wreak havoc. Yes, I speak from bitter experience.

But just removing the Pre- and post- conditions on a copy of your course shouldn't be too risky, though.

Cheers,

Glenys

Attachment 2012-11-18_21-08-14.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi again,

Because of the recent instability of Moodle.org, my previous message was sent out without the following screenshot:

When you open the dropdown menu "All" refers to all the courses on your Moodle site, not to all the all the exercises/quizzes in a QuizPort. On the Moodle site of my association "Grammar" is just one of several courses.

Attachment 2012-11-18_19-52-07.jpg

by Gerald Grow -

That's IT! Glenys, you're a genius! Thanks so much for that explanation.

I had never explored the dropdown menu in the "Apply Selected Default Values" section of Edit Quizzes inside Quizport.

But that's exactly what I was looking for.

And I will be careful. This is something I will apply to a new Restore of a course, in order to create a second version for self-directed students or for teachers who want to explore it without being bound by the conditions.

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gerald,

I've just replied to you privately, but as Moodle.org seems to be OK for the moment, I'll put it here too:

"You made me laugh! I'm not a genius, just a person who's made a lot of mistakes and learnt from some of them.

By the way, the warning (about not practising on a live site) was not addressed to you but to others less experienced who might read the post.

For teachers to try out, I make a Book version with the original Hot Potatoes navigation. That is, I do when I have the time to make alternative versions of everything."

QuizPort/TaskChain has a huge number of possible settings - I don't think anyone but Gordon masters them all and their interrelated implications. Doesn't mean, though,  that they can't easily be used with just the default settings.

Cheers,
Glenys