How to batch enroll many *current* users in course, can't see their Moodle password

How to batch enroll many *current* users in course, can't see their Moodle password

by Gail Austin -
Number of replies: 6
HELP PLS!!!! I need to batch enroll all 9,000 of my *current* Moodle users in a metacourse. However, to do a batch update which enrolls current users in an additional course, I need to have these fields in the batch update CSV - username, password, firstname, lastname, course1. But I don't know their passwords because they were set up with the "changeme" password and they have changed them! Please tell me either how I can see their passwords, or how I can batch enroll many existing users in a new course without knowing their passwords.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gail Austin

Re: How to batch enroll many *current* users in course, can't see their Moodle password

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Gail. No you don't need all of those details - you just need username, course1.
In reply to Gail Austin

Re: How to batch enroll many *current* users in course, can't see their Moodle password

by Derek Chirnside -

@Mary.  I know this is documented somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

@Gail.  Here's what I used last week to enrol everybody:

Course administraction > Users > Enrolment methods

Click the icon to "Edit Users" and then enter a search for 'a', then add these, then i . .  etc.  I had all the users added quite quickly.

I did think a "Select all" button may be good.  This shows names + email but will not search on email (unlike 1.9), but it will do the job you want . . .

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Gail Austin -

Hi Derek: *Thanks very much* for your intriguing solution, which I tried right away! But maybe I have a different version of Moodle from you? (I have 2.0). I don't have an Edit Users icon in Enrollment Methods - I have an Edit icon for each Enrollment Method, but that just lets me turn the method on or off. Under Enrolled Users, I have an Enroll Users button, which gives me a list of all the users registered on the system that are not enrolled in the course, and I can search for all those with "a" in their name as you suggested, but this just gives me a list of all those users but does not select them. For that, I have to go down the list and click a checkbox next to each name. Am I missing something?

In reply to Gail Austin

by Gail Austin -

Hi Derek: I just found the Edit Users iconsmile Sorry about my confusion! When I put in individual letters, it says "too many to display -search again" - it seems willing to select only 200 at a time. So it'll take awhile to get all 9,000, but this is workablesmile THANKS!!

In reply to Gail Austin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Gail - you still might find it quicker to use the CSV file -as I said - you only need the username and you don't need the other details except the course short name for course1
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gail Austin -

Mary - THANKS for your help! I did use the CSV file, but I had to have username, email and course1 in the CSV to get it to work. Also CSV update would only handle about 500 users at a time. But we got through the 9,700 userssmile THANK YOU!