Moodle (or something else) for a webinar?

Re: 700 Concurrent users

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Moodle and Wordpress or Drupal are not really comparable. They do entirely different things. If you want a login system that allows students to simply get access to a page that links them to Youtube then Wordpress will certainly do that. In fact Youtube offers a service that allows you to watch videos smile, what additional functionality are you looking for?

Moodle offers a wide array of tools specific to education such as assignments, automatically graded quizzes, grading of forum posts, etc etc and it is specifically developed for the educational context.

I am a fan of Wordpress and have spent some time this evening looking at it for the possibility of using it in Education, but that is not its core purpose and I decided not to pursue that further (for the moment).
Marcus
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: 700 Concurrent users

by jaffa jay -

Thanks Marcus. I hope you guys don't mind me posting my thoughts here. I am very new to Moodle and still trying to get my head around it.

I am leaning more towards Wordpress as it allows me to do everything we need at the moment. Finances will not allow us to spend on a dedicated server or even a top-end vps and I get the impresion Moodle needs more resources than wordpress due to the nature of its features. If we decide not to use all the educational tools, quizes etc then I don't see the point in using Moodle.

I really appreciate the advice from you all. Thank you for your time.

In reply to jaffa jay

Moodle (or something else) for a webinar?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No problem. I use Moodle almost exclusively for quizzing which is renowned as the most resource intensive of all the modules. I never have more than 20 students taking a quiz at a time and the cost for my shared hosting is £50 per year (year not month)...... I like Wordpress because of it's themability and support. Even if you decide later that Moodle has features you want, you will probably not regret making a start with Wordpress. Tonight I was playing with a Wordpress/Buddypress Courseware, a WP Educational plugin. It doesn't seem to be at all finished.

(Edited the subject to reflect the new topic.
By Visvanath Ratnaweera - original submission Friday, 16 November 2012, 12:16 AM)