Comparisons and advocacy

Picture of Marcus Green
Re: 700 Concurrent users
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Moodle and Wordpress or Drupal are not really comparable. They do entirely different things. If you want a login system that allows students to simply get access to a page that links them to Youtube then Wordpress will certainly do that. In fact Youtube offers a service that allows you to watch videos smile, what additional functionality are you looking for?

Moodle offers a wide array of tools specific to education such as assignments, automatically graded quizzes, grading of forum posts, etc etc and it is specifically developed for the educational context.

I am a fan of Wordpress and have spent some time this evening looking at it for the possibility of using it in Education, but that is not its core purpose and I decided not to pursue that further (for the moment).
Marcus

Average of ratings: -
Picture of jaffa jay
Re: 700 Concurrent users

Thanks Marcus. I hope you guys don't mind me posting my thoughts here. I am very new to Moodle and still trying to get my head around it.

I am leaning more towards Wordpress as it allows me to do everything we need at the moment. Finances will not allow us to spend on a dedicated server or even a top-end vps and I get the impresion Moodle needs more resources than wordpress due to the nature of its features. If we decide not to use all the educational tools, quizes etc then I don't see the point in using Moodle.

I really appreciate the advice from you all. Thank you for your time.

Picture of Marcus Green
Moodle (or something else) for a webinar?
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
No problem. I use Moodle almost exclusively for quizzing which is renowned as the most resource intensive of all the modules. I never have more than 20 students taking a quiz at a time and the cost for my shared hosting is £50 per year (year not month)...... I like Wordpress because of it's themability and support. Even if you decide later that Moodle has features you want, you will probably not regret making a start with Wordpress. Tonight I was playing with a Wordpress/Buddypress Courseware, a WP Educational plugin. It doesn't seem to be at all finished.

(Edited the subject to reflect the new topic.
By Visvanath Ratnaweera - original submission Friday, 16 November 2012, 12:16 AM)