SCORM 1.2 Student Reponse Capped at 250 Charaters

SCORM 1.2 Student Reponse Capped at 250 Charaters

لە لایەن Dane Burden -
Number of replies: 6

Moodle version: 2.1.1.

SCORM 1.2 package using Articulate Quiz Maker 9.

The issue I am running into is a capped student response of 250 characters when reviewing the grades on my Moodle site. I have created an survey using Articulate Quizmaker 9 and published to a SCORM 1.2 package. After uploading this to the moodle site I can take and review the quiz fine but notice that the sudent response has been capped at 250 characters. Articulate ensures me there is no character limit to the LMS packages the software publishes and this has to be a setting with my LMS system.

Does anyone have any additional information that could steer me in the right direction?

تێکرایى نمرەپێدراوەکان: -
In reply to Dane Burden

Re: SCORM 1.2 Student Reponse Capped at 250 Charaters

لە لایەن Tim Parham -
Which SCORM element are you using to store the student response? If you are using cmi.interactions.n.student_response, what is the response type? The value column in the tracking table is longtext, so you shouldn't be encountering truncation issues there. Is the entire response being stored in the database?
In reply to Tim Parham

لە لایەن Dane Burden -

I believe this is the element I am using to store the student responses, cmi.interactions_0.student_response. The entire response is not being stored in the database although the database has been tested and stored over the capped 250 (which is comming from somewhere). The database is set to contain a possible 4GB of characters.

Database: mysql v. 5.1.49.3

In reply to Dane Burden

لە لایەن Robert Saari -

According to the SCORM 1.2 standard, the interaction type dictates the length of the response.  For example, if it is a True/False question, the response is a single character (0 or 1, T or F).  If the interaction type is "performance", the response in the LMS is limited to 255 characters, regardless of the settings in your publishing tool.  I suspect this is the limit you are experiencing.  The database is not limiting the length, but I think the SCORM API is.

تێکرایى نمرەپێدراوەکان:Useful (1)
In reply to Robert Saari

لە لایەن Dan Marsden -
وێنەی Core developers وێنەی Particularly helpful Moodlers وێنەی Peer reviewers وێنەی Plugin developers وێنەی Plugins guardians وێنەی Testers وێنەی Translators

Robert is correct - the ADL SCORM 1.2 spec states that student_response is limited to 255 characters.

SCORM 2004 doesn't have the same limitations - so if the length of the response is the only issue you have you could publish your package as a SCORM 2004 package and that might suit your needs.

important to note that full SCORM 2004 support is not yet available in Moodle so you may run into other issues related to SCORM 2004 but many people with your issue have just used SCORM 2004 and found it worked as they wanted.

In reply to Dan Marsden

لە لایەن Dane Burden -

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the help! Unfortunately SCORM 2004 functionality in Moodle is limited and I can't make the switch. I have been experimenting with Moodles quiz plug-in and it may do everything I need it to.

Thanks again.