Lesson Slideshow in V2.3 does it work?

Lesson Slideshow in V2.3 does it work?

par Peter Ward,
Nombre de réponses : 14

Hi Guys,

I've tried with 2 x installations of V2.3 and I can't get my lessons to be presented as a slideshow.

The lessons have all been created inside moodle and are only using content pages. I followed the guide at http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Lesson_settings

I read elsewhere that the powerpoint import for lessons has been removed from V2.3 as it doesn't work so I'm wondering if that is the reason why I can't get my lessons to be presented as a slideshow. Perhaps there is some relationship.

Has anyone else got lessons running using the slideshow option in V2.3

Many thanks in advance.

Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à Peter Ward

Re: Lesson Slideshow in V2.3 does it work?

par Joseph Rézeau,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators

Hi Peter,

There is indeed a bug, which has gone un-noticed in all successive versions of Moodle 2. I will shortly open a bug report and provide an easy fix, and report in this discussion.

Joseph

En réponse à Joseph Rézeau

par Joseph Rézeau,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators

I have raised issue MDL-36673 in the bug tracker, and provided a patch against Moodle 2.3. You may vote for the issue if you are interested.

par Peter Ward,

Many Thanks for the quick reply Joseph.

I have downloaded the patch but could you please tell me what to do with the patch file.

Regards

En réponse à Peter Ward

par Joseph Rézeau,

@Peter,

Do you have Admin role on your moodle site? Have you already hacked some of your moodle files? If you are new to this, you may do it but you'll have to extra careful. Normally applying patches is reserved to admins who know what they are doing...

First thing: make a complete backup of your moode site's core files, to be able to restore them in case your patching operation does not work.

Open my patch file with any text editor. You will see that, in the heading, it mentions the names of the 2 files which have to be "patched":  mod/lesson/renderer.php and  mod/lesson/view.php

Open those 2 files that reside on your moodle site with a text editor. In my patch file, locate where the lines in my patch file are located in your own lesson files, add the lines beginning with a + sign and remove the lines beginning with a - sign. Save your 2 lesson files to your site.

Joseph

par Mike hargaden,

Hi Joseph

I have tried to follow your instructions for applying the patch but cannot find the code in the 2 files you refer to and i assume I am doing something wrong:

For example in mod/lesson/renderer.php I cannot find a37f40b nor 552,16 and in mod/lesson/view.php I cannot find 093c618

What am I doing wrong

Any help would be gratefully received

Mike

En réponse à Mike hargaden

par Joseph Rézeau,

Mike,

This is an old discussion. Which version of Moodle are you using?

Joseph

par Clive Thomas,

Hey Joseph

Thanks for the patch - it worked brilliantly in 2.3 and 2.4

Unfortunately, it no longer works in 2.5 and I cannot work out why not. Do you have any ideas? Has the renderer changed? We urgently need a fix for this as all our slideshow lessons now look really bad.

Thanks for your help,

Clive

En réponse à Clive Thomas

par Joseph Rézeau,

@Clive,

The patch I provided for 2.3 works OK in 2.4 and 2.5. What makes you think it does not work? Please provide a screenshot.

Joseph

par Clive Thomas,

@Joseph

Thanks for the quick reply. I know it's not working because when viewing the source I cannot see a div with class=slideshow (which I saw when using ver 2.3 and 2.4). The exact version I'm using is 2.5.2+ (Build: 20130913) Version 2013051402.01

I've restored /mod/lesson from original download and re-patched. I've reset theme to 'standard' in case I'd done something else wrong.

Am I missing a step or should I only need to apply the patch?

Clive

par Joseph Rézeau,

I am attaching a patch specially against current moodle 2.5, but it really hasn't changed from previous version.

How do you apply the patch? It's only a couple of lines changes, so you could do it manually if you understand the way diff/patch files work.

Joseph

par Clive Thomas,

Thanks Joseph - I'll try the new patch tonight. I am applying manually as I don't have shell access. I'll let you know what happens.

Clive

par Clive Thomas,

I've tried the new patch and get the same result. As you said, the patch is essentially the same as the one for 2.3.

I have created a new lesson to be displayed as a slideshow (the original one was imported from 1.9) just in case it was an import problem but I get the same result.

I am not seeing a div with class="slideshow" in the source html of the page.

Can  you make any suggestions about how I can trouble-shoot this as my knowledge of renderers is not very good. It's almost like the renderer is not picking up the fact that the lesson should be formatted as a slideshow so it's never even getting to execute your patched code.

Clive

par Joseph Rézeau,

All I can say is that the patch works as expected for me on a Moodle 2.5 version lesson. I hope you have noticed that the patch concerns two files, and you did not forget to remove line

echo $lessonoutput->slideshow_end();

from the lesson/view.php file...

par Clive Thomas,

Yes - that line has been removed. I cannot explain what's happening as I've done exactly the same as I did with previous versions but this version doesn't work. What I don't understand is why it is not creating the div with slideshow class. I don't understand the renderer process and therefore I'm not sure how to trouble-shoot this problem. Thank you for all your help so far - I really don't know what to do now.

Any further suggestions gratefully received.

Clive