Using the Same Question Bank but Different Wild Card Sets between 2 Quizzes

Using the Same Question Bank but Different Wild Card Sets between 2 Quizzes

by Jacob Walker -
Number of replies: 2

I love Moodle, but there are so many things that are counterintuitive to me!

I hope there is an easy answer to this problem, or maybe this is a bug report I'm making, or maybe I will just need to duplicate my question bank.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

I have a quiz that has math problems, most of them using Simple Calculated Questions.   I have told my students that they will get the best score out of 4 quizzes, and that I would have the 2nd quiz identical to the first, just with different randomly generated numbers.

So I copied Quiz 1 to Quiz 2, expecting that students would get a new wildcard set, but instead they go the exact same set as the first time they took the quiz.

What is the best way to solve this issue? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacob Walker

Re: Using the Same Question Bank but Different Wild Card Sets between 2 Quizzes

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Rather than making Quiz 2, can't you just let students have two attempts and Quiz 1?

You have indeed found a bug. Would you like to report it in the Moodle Tracker?

(Note to self, the bug is in question_variant_pseudorandom_no_repeats_strategy. The pseudo-random bit needs to include the quiz id or something like that.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Using the Same Question Bank but Different Wild Card Sets between 2 Quizzes

by Jacob Walker -

Ok, I will do a little more logging of the details so that my bug report will be good.

And as a work around, I will just let the students repeat the first quiz... (That should have occured to me!  Although I wanted 2 seperate spots for them to see where the quiz was, but I can just move the first quiz to the appropriate week, or I could always make a link to the first quiz, and call it quiz 2, etc.)

- Jacob