Comparisons and advocacy

Picture of John Reese
Threat to Moodle? - Adrenna Academic

"... A Georgia-based company announced the availability of an enterprise extensible LMS built fully on Drupal technology. The company expects to take Moodle, Instructure and Blackboard head on by leveraging one of the world’s largest open source communities to deploy an enterprise open source learning management system...."

Article: http://www.gilfuseducationgroup.com/drupal-lms-to-replace-moodle-sakai-instructure-blackboard

Adrenna Academic: http://www.adrenna.com/open-source-lms#adrenna_academic

Thoughts? Looks promising though cloud-based only ... for now anyway

John

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Don Hinkelman
Re: Threat to Moodle? - Adrenna Academic
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think "a challenge to Moodle" is a better phrase. Anything that challenges the Moodle Community to do better is a good thing.  I want to see how they implement:

• "...user points, credentialing and badging..."
  • "... discussions, announcements, blogs, file and folder sharing, video and image galleries, members, links, polls, glossary, integration with facebook, twitter, SMS messaging, integrated notification, a content authoring  area, quiz and gradebook engine, authentication integration and integration into the SIS..."
  • do they have a Sharing Cart, like Moodle does? wink

Unfortunately, the whole Adrenna platform is built "on top of" open source.  So it is commercial--perhaps with some user-contributed modules. And while Drupal is big, it is small in the education community.

Good luck, mates! smile

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Amy Boyd

I actually took at look at Adrennas demo in a meeting with them.  Although I'm not impressed with their website or the way they've introduced themselves, I did like their software.  It will be interesting to see where it goes.  Hopefully they can be less talk and more show soon.

Whether or not they will compete with the likes of Moodle, Sakai, etc...  I really can't say.  They do appear to have a decent and well thought out product.  I hope they will play nice with the Drupal community.

moi!!! it is what is is...
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Every mother and her dog has an LMS these days, but beware the product that has an LMS and an SMS combined, that is the real threat.

Think about it - the integration of currently different products that can be connected by an enterprise into a single, useful, tool, that uses web technologies, is secure as it can be, and a simple user friendly interface, who would then want a set of different tools to do the same job?  

Picture of Michael Penney
Group Developers

You mean we've survived WebCT, Angel, Sakai, Instructure, and D2L, only to be replaced by a startup using Drupal? 

I heard someone at a recent conference say that Haiku was going to be the end of Moodle...used to be that all the new LMS Cos sprang up yelling about how they would replace Blackboard - I guess that means Moodle is the king of the hill now. 

On the other hand this marketing message might upset John Baker - could someone ask Adrenna to replace D2L also so he doesn't feel left out?

But when Haiku meets Adrenna - what will happen then? I fear it will be like Mothra vs Battra!

Picture of Tim Chambers

Funny!  smile

Just wondering . . .

This has been around for a while.  (The Adreanna Vimeo video http://vimeo.com/39711504 is over 7 months old)

I have seen a few Gilfus papers via some of the LinkedIn elearning groups I have been in.  I'd say slightly emotive at times in their presentation, often missing out key ideas and issues has made a paper or a blog post a little skewed (IMO)  Their heading in the Adreanna blog post does not represent the public perspective of Adreanna I think, and is emotive, and probably designed to attract clicks.

I remember when BB bought into the two MP's there was an offer in these forums for some help by the Drupal community (the OS part) to which Martin politely responded that we had out own LMS.

But who knows: with a quick search, I cannot find any report that says "In a shootout between products X, Y and Z for a new LMS this big institution has chosen Adreanna"  smile  This is the acid test.

It seems (haveing not been inside Adreanna for real) that they have Adreanna links and capacities in social learning and the "Web 2" look that Moodle has yet to embrace (But wait for Mariana's formats work in 2.4 maybe)

They list 100's of Drupal based sites here: http://www.adrenna.com/open-source-lms#adrenna_academic but how many actually use Adeanna?  There could be a market there, especially as they say their chameleon technologies can make our system look like your old system. smile

Interesting.  Threat to Moodle?  My opinion: don't think so.  I have problems with some Moodle basics.  Like next week I will need to manually create 60 courses.  But the community here is superb.

-Derek

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of John Reese

All good feedback...

I'm also looking at Canvas ...

Picture of Amy Boyd

I'm interested in learning more about Adrenna, but from what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed.

For starters, they bill themselves as an "open-source LMS", when in fact they are not.  They are a paid commercial LMS service that is built OVER an open source product (Drupal).  Big difference. It's a little disconcerting to me that they are using false advertising for themselves.  Big strike #1.

Incomplete sentences and grammatical errors on their website.  This is ok for a Blog.  This is ok in email, etc.  This is not ok if you are trying to sell an LMS to a University.  Big strike #2.

There is no demo.  There is a promotional video of questionable value, but no demo.  I emailed and asked for a demo.  They sent me to their promotional video.  There is a lot of talk, but very little substance so far.  Strike #3.  But - they can come through with this one.  Hoping they set me up with a login so I can actually see the software. 

I've also been unable to substantiate some of the awards they claim to have won.  I'm not saying they didn't win them, but am unable to find any evidence one way or the other.

If anyone has had any positive experiences with them, I'd love to hear about it.  For that matter, I'd love to hear negatives too.  What is yours/anyones experiences with Adrenna so far?

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Just wondering . . .

Comments on

1. Adrenna
  2. Blackboard

ADRENNA: I think this is new news and hasn't been posted here, something for your LMS watchers.  "Blackboard Founder Plans to Alter Course of eLearning History Again, Through Leading Open Source Initiative"

http://www.adrenna.com/blackboard-founder-alters-course-of-history-again

The Gilfus group has bought Adrenna.

This now explains their biased and chaotic post earlier this year and the choppy and sad reposts in LinhedIn.   (http://www.gilfuseducationgroup.com/drupal-lms-to-replace-moodle-sakai-instructure-blackboard)  At the time I could not understand how such an emotive and biased post appeared on a website such as the Gilfus group.

They obviously have been planning this takeover for a while.

They expect to have a download available next year in the first quarter.  I must say I like Drupal.  I wonder what Adrenna be like?  The latest version of Drupal had a whole bunch of plugins added into the core.  The work to install Drupal has been greatly reduced.

BLACKBOARD: Staff layoffs. From last month http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/techflash/2013/09/blackboard-layoffs.html

Fascinating.

-Derek

Matt Bury

So... not going very well here either. The promos on LinkedIn are looking like a PR disaster too. Ah well, another replacement for Moodle, Sakai, Canvas, Blackboard will be along in a month or so.

How about an LMS version of Wordpress/BuddyPress? phpBB? Diaspora*? MediaWiki? StatusNet? Apparently, there's already one for Joomla (Joomdle).

Picture of Ger Tielemans

For me the whole discussion is about your educational view. If you see education as doing (videotaped) lecturing combined with homework assignments which students have to handover then all the desktop metaphor VLEs are good enough, ranging from Buddypress to all the Blackboard look-a-likes. But if you wish to offer students control over their own learning you need more: 1. a canvas to visualize the educational setting with resources and activities, organised in learning units with an outline tool 2. a self monitoring system for the students where they can see their progress and 3. communication tools in many versions to comment and discuss the products they create and 4.. very wise: a monitoring system for teachers where  so they can observe the students during their learning process, gve feedback during the learning, not only after the process, like with all these other homework bring in systems. I LIKE MOODLE 2 very much  for this reason, but feel pitty that we loose very nice activities like the module where students can create their own questions for a domain and the integrated Google map activity..

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
moi!!! it is what is is...
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

After reading your comments Ger, I am reminded of two stories.

When Europeans came to Australia and began to learn about Aboriginal culture, they found that a young man does an "apprenticeship" with an older man. He learns everything he needs to know about how to move around the land, what is edible and what is not, what is dangerous and what is not, where the water is and so on. What the early Europeans missed was that this was essentially the same technique of how apprentices learned their trades - they were dismissive of the Aboriginal practices - just as we are today.

The other story is longer and even more strange, but essentially it involved the non-transmission of knowledge to the next generation, and the reaction of the more conservative elements thinking this is a "good thing".

We seem to be eschewing ages old practices of personal contact, mentor-mentee if you like, in favour of newer technology based on "self education". No wonder the Western education system is failing us. Observation and "positive feedback" is not personal contact and I use Moodle for precisely that, to build personal contact, not to circumvent it or avoid it which is what you seem to be advocating here. With technology, one size does not fit all, but it can be used to democtratize the classroom, which I hope that is what I am doing.     

Average of ratings:Useful (4)
Russell Waldron

LMS version of WordPress: do you mean something like LearnDash?

Picture of Marcus Green

LearnDash is vapourware

Picture of Andrew Carson

As I understand it, Joomla was created by Drupal users who created a fork (Joomla) largely with the goal of creating a better LMS using the (then) Drupal base. The issue for them was that Drupal blows up whenever the Drupal community creates a new version of Drupal. That means all shared and proprietary modules likewise blow up. Of course there's a trade-off there. For Adrenna to work it needs to either work off a single (now new but someday old) version of Drupal (and risk obsolescence, like Joomla), or it needs to refresh itself with successive versions of Drupal. And Drupal 8 is going to be a big revision, hence a big risk for Adrenna. Still, the constant updates are why Drupal is relevant, so that's the trade-off.