General help

Backup

Picture of Shailesh Sharma
Backup

Hi to all, Is there any way to see how to perform back up in Moodle. I am in urgent need of this concept need your help. I am currently using 2.2.3 version. Any Suggestion would be helpful. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
Re: Backup

Hi Visvanath, I am new to Moodle platform, it seems to be a bit confusing related to backup procedure. As a admin what is your view regarding backup, which one must be backup first among these. 1) Site. 2) Course. Need your assistance to move forward to it. Thank you.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Shailesh

Correct, they are two things:
1) Site
http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Site_backup
http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Site_restore

2) Course.
http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Course_backup
http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Course_restore

There is no preferred method. Some are happy with one, others do both - and yet
others do nothing(!). The choice is yours.

You'll find all the details in those wiki pages.

Hi Visvanath,

I am new to this Moodle platform. What will you suggest if you get the same issue. You have been working for many days over it.

I need to know your point of view as soon as possible as i need to end this task till today itself.(Deciding )

Thanks

Hi Shailesh

I don't see an issue. You asked, "Is there any way to see how to perform back up in Moodle". The wiki pages mentioned above describe how.

Picture of curt bixel

Visvanath,

Can you tell me about how long a course backup should take?  It is taking about 22 minutes to back up my one course.  The completed backup file is about 250MB.  Everything else on the site runs lightning fast.  It happens to be my own website with my own moodle installation, and only my 3 classes, only one of which I am currently using and attempting to back up.

Hi

I never use site backups, therefore can't say whether 22 min are normal.

But reading this:
===
Automated course backups are more expensive in terms of time and CPU usage. The recovery time to have your site running again is longer.

Course backups are useful for obtaining "fresh" copies of courses to be re-used or distributed individually, however they should never be used as a primary backup system (unless your hosting doesn't allow the preferred site backups).
===
in http://docs.moodle.org/en/Automated_course_backup#Course_versus_site_backups and considering those 250 MB, I'm not surprised.

Picture of curt bixel

O.K.  Thanks for that information.  The reason I have chosen to use "course backups" instead of site backups is due to an experience I had recently.   My course malfunctioned, when I went to the tech department at my school to ask them to restore the backed up version, it appears they had back ups only of the entire server.  Because of the shared file system, they were not able to restore just my class, and were not willing to revert the server to the backup from a day earlier, as this would lose all changes made by over 300 teachers over the past 24 hours.  

This is also why I am hosting my own course, on my own server space now.

I am also doing automated server backups.

On another note, do you have any idea what I would need to do to remove a large video file from the file repository.  I know I can delete it off my moodle course page, but I am worried that it is still kept in the file repository somewhere.

Picture of Rick Jerz

I run a small Moodle site (under 100 students, under 12 courses per year).  Therefore, doing a site backup doesn't take long.  This is what I do each night.  I backup the database, the moodledata directory, and my config.php file.  I do this early in the morning with a cron job so that it doesn't disturb students who might be working during the day.

If my site were large, I might prefer a course backup.

By the way, I have never been caught needing to restore from my backups.  I guess that I have been lucky.  However, I have tested the backup/restore process several times, especially when I move my site around to different servers.

The docs that Visvanath pointed you to are quite good.  I have used these, and I am not a professional site administrator.  I am just a professor.

Head
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Rick,

I would advise backing up the entire Moodle code directory and not just your config.php file... It is much easier to carry out a restore if you have a copy of the moodledata, moodle web directory and your database all taken at the same time!

Jon

Picture of Rick Jerz

Jon, thanks for your comment.  I wonder if some of the issue of backing up the moodle web directory depends on how many add-ins you have.  For example, in my case, I have only one.  I am not aware of any files in the moodle web (we are talking about the typical "moodle" directory, aren't we?) changing as moodle operates, but I am not an expert on this.  Also, typically, config.php doesn't change either, but it is not odd for the moodle administrator to make some changes to this file, which is why I suggest having a backup of it.

So my idea not to worry about the "moodle" directory stems for my understanding that it can be easily recreated by simply doing a reinstall of it.  Having said this, I do recognize that a copy of the moodle install file should maybe be saved just in case you ever want to go back to this exact version.  In my case, I would always install the latest dot version.

I enjoy learning new things about administering moodle, so your comments are appreciated.

Head

Hi Rick,

With those three things backed up it is possible to perform a complete system restore (even to another server if needed) without the need of going to get any other files.

If you did not have a backup of the main moodle web files you would need to go and find the exact same version of the moodle files plus any plugins and themes you may have installed before you could restore. Depending upon the age of your moodle install this could prove difficult.

My view is; "Why make it hard for yourself?" - if you have all three you know that you can restore everything if the worst happens!

Jon

Hi Jon

> if you have all three you know that you can restore everything if the worst happens!

There are things which are worse that the worst. For example, the worst happens and you realize that the backup was never tested for restore.
;-(

Head

Too true Visvanath! But this is a mistake you normally only make once! wink

Picture of Rick Jerz

Jon, excellent point.  Furthermore, backing up the moodle directory doesn't take much more space than the moodle install files, so why not back up everything.

By the way, I do occassionally test the restore process to make sure everything is working.  Not regularly, but occasionally.

Picture of Ray Morris
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Note that the backup function within Moodle is really a "plan C".  It doesn't really replace a server backup, which should be done by your server administrator and restores tested when you call a drill, and should include all your Moodle data along with the rest of the server.

That is to say, your Moodle stuff should already be backed up as part of your complete server backup using Clonebox or similar, so the Moodle backup is just extra piece of mind since you should already have a tested daily backup of the whole server.