In the past (1.4 - 1.9) we created for all our schools our own parent account. My sucessors did not rebuild it for 2.0. (yet)
It worked this way:
- On the front page of Moodle a person logs in.
- Moodle looks in an extra table -feed by our administration system - if this person is a parent with childern on that school.
- If so the person gets a new screen where he/she can choose to follow one of the children by clicking on the name of that child.
- The parent arrives on the my page of that child and sees all the information the child would see.
- By clicking on one of the courses of the child the parent can access the course and see the course outline, resources and activity descriptions but cannot enter the activities themselves. We also blocked for the parent the forums - in these days with default access - in our courses. (So interaction stays between the teacher and the students.)
Hopefully someone finds the inspiration to setup such approach for Moodle 2.x
Another option we had in the past (2004-..) was that we created an automatic WAP (?!)cellarphone overview screen for all the todo's of the child in our courses. This overview was also visible on the my page of the child as a small block:
- from left to right 10 courses.
- from bottom to top: section with all finished activities(white), with open activities the small block is black.
- click on a block and you jump to that section in that course.
- not visible here, but a horizontal needle showed today in the graph