File upload fails for IE9 after upgrade to 2.3.3

File upload fails for IE9 after upgrade to 2.3.3

by Stephen Bloomer -
Number of replies: 13

Yesterday we upgraded to 2.3.3 build 20121112.  Today we found that nobody can upload a file when using IE9.  When we try to upload a file, in the "Content" box it just shows a spinning wheel. 

In testing with IE10 and Firefox this same wheel show for a very short time prior to displayin the dragable upload box, but with IE9 we are left with no option to drag a file or select a file.

Server and Client details
Server Win 2008 R2, IIS, MySQL fully patched
Client Win 7 x64 and x86, IE9 fully patched and tested with multiple AV programs. 

Attachment Capture.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Bloomer

Re: File upload fails for IE9 after upgrade to 2.3.3

by Nancy K Hoke -

Dear Stephen - I can provide a little insight into your problem.  We found when we upgraded to Moodle 2.3 that several elements of Moodle were not functioning in IE.  This was especially true for the drag and drop files.  Once faculty switched to FireFox the problem was solved. We did switch from Windows server to Linux.  We also found in Moodle 2.3 that with IE with editing turned on not all of the edit icons would display.  I hope that this may be of some help.

Nancy K.

by Márton Bacsó -

In IE10 under Windows 8, it works well, but the same thing happens, when I click on the "compatibility mode". As far as I know, compatiblity mode emulates IE7, so it is possible that the problem not only affects IE9, but IE7 (and maybe IE8) as well.

by Márton Bacsó -

I have tested my site in my school today (Win7 32 bit IE9, Win Vista 32 bit IE9) and I it worked without problems.

In reply to Márton Bacsó

by Stephen Bloomer -
We have that issue in both 64 and 32 bit, but I only have one 32 bit computer left in the school that i can test with. Firefox would fix this issue for Moodle, but would brake lots of other systems in our school so not a solution for us. It appears that 2.3.3 is trying to enable the drag and drop functionality as with IE10 and Firefox but its getting caught in a loop. At this time I have turned off Ajax to push everything back to the old menu system, but I would like to just turn off the drag and drop if I could. I just noticed that on this site I am getting the same problem with my iPad. It won't let me attach a file. iOS 6.01

by Rob Johnson -

The ipad will only let you browse your photo roll.  Safari does not have access to other files.  Could that be the issue with the ipad?

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Stephen Bloomer -

It wont allow the upload of ANY files as the attachment window does not work, as per the diagram above.

by Matt Bowler -

We has the same issue - it was due to the doctype with throws IE9 into quirks mode and subsequently into IE7 standards. Hit F12 on your keyboard to bring up the developer window to check this...

We found that if by adding the line <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge"> to moodle/lib/outputrenderers.php, it forces the browser to display the page correctly.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Bowler

by Cameron Penna -

The problem with putting that line in outputrenderers.php is that each time you update moodle, you will need to do it again. You may find it better putting it into your theme.

Peronsonally I also found more reliability having content="IE=8,IE=9" rather than content="IE=edge"

Also the symptom is found in Moodle 2.3.anything, not just 2.3.3. and I can confirm that compatibility mode in IE8 and IE9 (which simulates IE7) is what causes the problem as IE8 is the min sys req for Moodle 2.3... mostly it appears because of the filepicker.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Cameron Penna

by Matt Bowler -

I've been working with Moodle 2.4 this morning and this IE9 issue seems to be sorted using IE='edge'.

On our live server we're using IE='8' as anything else causes problems with our Turnitin integration...

In reply to Matt Bowler

by Cameron Penna -
Matt, can you try both at the same time please? This is what we use. It allowed both IE8 and IE8 to behave natively. I'd be curious if it allows your turnitin to work.

by Jake Novak -

We are having the same issue here since our upgrade to 2.3.3 this weekend (just for some insight, this is a CentOS 6 box with the most recent LAMP packages). Our fix for this has been to put the moodle server in the "trusted site" list; not sure why this fixes it, but it has been a solid workaround so far.  Other browsers do not appear to be affected, and only certain versions of IE are displaying this behavior as well.

In reply to Jake Novak

by José Robles -

I have tried IE9 with Compatibility View off and everything is fine.

I tried IE9 with Compatibility View enabled and fails in the manner described.

In reply to Jake Novak

by Jake Novak -

Just for documentation, the reason why putting our Moodle site in the "trusted sites" list worked for us is that we had the setting to force compatibility mode for intranet sites.  I'm not sure if it's set by default or not, but adding the site to the trusted sites list will bypass this setting for that site only.