Attempt at an adaptive test

Attempt at an adaptive test

by Olga M-N -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

Actually, I'm almost certain it can't be done using Moodle (but this estimation is based on forum posts rather tham my own experience), but then some users have suggested using a lesson module or possibly a task chain/quiz port module, so I thought it might be worth asking (and sorry in advance - I will copy this question to the lesson forum too).

There would be 9 levels of difficulty and they will be colour coded. Each level unit would contain 9 multiple choice questions. The starting point of the test is at medium difficulty level. If a test taker gets 8-9 answers right, they will move two levels up, for 6-7 correct answers they will go one level up, for 4-5 correct answers they will stay at the same level, for 2-3 correct answers they will go back one unit, and for 0-1 correct answers they will go back two units. A test taker would need to go through 4 different units to complete this part of the quiz - then, based on the result in this part, they would do a reading and listening task (3 possible levels). Because some test takers might stay at the same level/in the same unit, I would need to build more units at each level.

I've attached a drawing of how I imagine it to work - it doesn't show multiple units at the same level, because I thought it would make the plan confusing - but I am aware there will need to be 4 "orange level" units, 3 "purple", "navy blue", "pink" and "green" units etc.

So the first problem is setting these conditions to let test-takers move between different units.

Another problem is - how to grade answers, as obviously correct answers in the "yellow" unit should have less weight than the ones in the "blue" unit... I can't simply give them one point for each correct answer regardless of which unit they are in.

So do you think it could be done with a lesson module or a task chain/quizport module? Thanks for any suggestions. And a warning: I'm quite new to Moodle, so if someone says it is possible I might ask a 100 more "how to do it step by step" questions;)

Adaptive quiz structure

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Olga M-N

Re: Attempt at an adaptive test

by ben reynolds -

Hi Olga,

I am almost positive that the flow plan you have above can be done with Quiz activity.

You would use Quiz settings Overall Feedback  to move from your starting point. In the Overall feedback, you create a link to the next appropriate Quiz. You can set the specifics of the grade, based on how you set the grade in a quiz, then set where the grade breaks (e.g., 4 right or 40% or whatever).

Tim Hunt has built/maintains a very adaptable Quiz module.

Although grades are not my specialty, I'm willing to help if you have more questions.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, yes, you could try to do something by linking different quizzes through the Overall feedback. In fact, Rita Tingle, an OU academic tried it as a research project. Unfortunately, she found that the resulting UI was just too clunky, to such an extent that it got in the way of student's learning.

So, this really does require a new acitvity module, and we have another thread going on about that now: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=215627.

In reply to Olga M-N

by Ramon Eixarch -

Hi Olga,

which version of Moodle are you using?

We have a module that we call Adaptive Quiz for Moodle 1.9 doing what you need. It is being used in the Open University of Catalonia.

We are already working to migrate it to Moodle 2. 

Ramon

In reply to Ramon Eixarch

by Olga M-N -

Thanks everyone for your answers. I'm still working on the bank of questions but at the end of this week I will start setting this quiz up, and I will let you know how it goes.

@Ramon
A ready made solution would be very nice, but I have installed the newest version - 2.3 - and I'm not thinking of migrating back because I don't know how it is going to affect the rest of the modules/plugins etc.

I'm sure if such a pre-prepared and user friendly module existed, it would benefit a lot of people, unfortunately I'm not a coder and I am only good at using what other people have created;)

In reply to Olga M-N

How to limit number of quizzes taken within a course?

by Olga M-N -

Hi again,

Slowly, but I'm working on it. This is the point at which I got stuck:

I have created a number of quizzes, with names reflecting their level of difficulty.

quizzes - list

In total, there will be 33 quizzes divided into 9 colour-coded levels of difficulty. Each quiz will contain 10 (or more) questions. I can understand how I can make students move from one quiz to another depending on the result in the previous quiz using conditions or feedback.

The thing is, I want them to 'go through' only 5 quizzes and stop - completion of 5 quizzes would mean completion of the course/Diagnostic Test, after which they should get the overall mark. I don't want them to wander through the maze of these quizzes endlessly... Is there any way to do it?

I had a question about grading system too, but posted it separately here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=218875

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I'm just lost now...

In reply to Olga M-N

Re: How to limit number of quizzes taken within a course?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I cannot think of an easy way to do this. I can see that it is quite important to stop the students from "wandering through the maze of these quizzes endlessly", but it may be that the only feasible way to do that is to tell the students "You only have to answer 5 of these. After that you can stop."