General help

Picture of Susana L.
Assign cohort to system role

As an admin I can't find a way to assign a group of users (let's say a system level cohort) to a system role. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thank you!

Moodle 2.2

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Assign cohort to system role
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
Just wondering if you could explain why you need to assign them to a system role?

Picture of Susana L.

Hi Mary,

We don't want students to access private files while they are having final exams. We found some options:

1. Disable private files on moodle site... sad

2. Only allow teachers to have access to their private files... for that we have to create a system role with capabilities moodle/user:manageownfiles and repository/user:view to prohibit, and assign all students to that role. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=214934#p936182 (Thanks!)

3. Temporarily disable access to the group of students enrolled in course XYZ that will have the exam. And for that, we also have to create a system role with the capabilities mentioned on 2. and assign the students of that course... and the problem is how to easily assign 300 students to that role!? Well, It is easy to create a cohort with those students (just select all users enrolled as students in XYZ and add them to a previously created cohort)... and now I just need to assign that cohort to the system role... I thought it would be straightforward!... but I was wrong (?)... Do you know any way to accomplish this?

This 3rd option would be the preferred one, because private files were only disabled temporarily and for a restricted group of students...

Thank you!

Picture of Susana L.

Actually the 3rd option is not the preferred one... This is the preferred one:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=215765

The 3rd option forces an admin intervention... and teachers should be able to disable access to private files by themselves...

Picture of Joshua Holden

Another reason which has come up here:  We'd like our instructors to be able to create courses, but not our students.  I think we could create a system role and give it to all of our instructors, but our IT department says they would rather not maintain that.  If all of the instructors were in a cohort and we could give the cohort the role that might be easier.

Picture of Allegre Guillaume

I agree with the need.

As cohorts are global objects, they are well suited to use it to group administrative staff, for example. In big universities, it's common to have such groups, to which we want to assign a global role.

For one of our clients, we had to hack around this limitation by bypassing capabilities with a custom permission system based on cohorts, but it's not very clean.

A system-context role assignation to a cohort would be a great feature.

Picture of Steve Brydges

I have that need as well, the reasons being efficiency and avoiding an unnecessarily cluttered interface.

We have a system role called CourseViewer. It is based on Guest with a few modifications, (but the same argument applies whatever the role).

We have 50 courses in a category. Each student is enrolled, as student, on perhaps 8, but need to be able to see any of the others. We have 200 students.

I can create a cohort 'DeptXViewonly' and put them all in. I can then cohort enrolment  sync this against the 50 courses. But that is time consuming, and worse, results in all students getting 50 courses listed in My Courses, and a bloated participants list within the course.

If I do this at category level (assigning the role to individuals) that allows them to enter the course, without appearing as an participant, ot in the my Courses list. That is exactly what I want, but I don't want to assign this role 200 times!

We have adopted a second best solution based on Guest, Guest with password, Enrolment with password. (Usually the password is necessary because we do not necessarily want students from other departments viewing material.

If you could apply a  cohort to a  system role (or multi-select individuals, or load a csv etc.) that would meet our requirements.