Testing and QA

Picture of Helen Foster
Help needed with Moodle 2.4 QA testing
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi everyone!

As you may be aware, Moodle 2.4 is due for release next month. To ensure a top quality release, we're running another QA testing cycle, starting today: Moodle 2.4 QA. The list of over 600 QA tests has been expanded to include tests covering new features and improvements in Moodle 2.4.

If you'd like to have a play with Moodle 2.4 on our Moodle QA testing site and at the same time help with QA testing, please read the QA testing guide and contact me if you'd like to be added to the testers group in the Moodle Tracker. New testers are always welcome. smile

We're aiming for a 100% pass rate of QA tests within the next three weeks, so all testing help is much appreciated!

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Picture of Graham Stone
Re: Help needed with Moodle 2.4 QA testing
Group Testers
Hi Helen, I have just sent you a message to offer my help with this. Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Jasmin Klindzic
Group TestersGroup Translators

All that I can say on that part: "If you'd like to play with Moodle 2.4..." is "Bring it on!" smile

Happy testing everyone!

Jasmin

p.s. And after logging in at qa.moodle.net as a manager, there are two error messages:

"Notice: Undefined variable: allplugins in /html/admin/settings/plugins.php on line 313

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /html/admin/settings/plugins.php on line 313"

Picture of Graham Stone
Group Testers
Hi, How do I start contributing to the QA Tracker? I've looked at the list of tasks http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLQA-4602 but can't see an option to contribute? Thanks,

Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Graham,

I've just sent you a message to let you know you are now a member of the testers group in the tracker, so if you'd like to select a test from the list -MDLQA-4602 - you'll now find pass and fail buttons. Thanks for your enthusiam to help! smile

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
That is MDL-36369.

Picture of Monico Briseño
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Testers

Hi, Helen. I started to test the newest Moodle version. But, the server showed the following error message:

qa.moodle.net upgrade in progress... we'll be back soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers

Monico

Hi Helen. I'm little confusing. I was testing a forum issue. Suddenly, the Moodle server did not work  for awhile. After a short period of time. I logged to the server again,  but the forum activity was gone. is this a normal situation?

Cheers

Monico

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
Hi Monico. If you are using the QA Moodle to test then be aware that everything is reset on the hour - so for a few minutes it won't work and then anything you added before the hour will have gone. I would start my testing about ten past the hour and aim to finish it before ten to the hour smile

Average of ratings:Useful (2)

Mary, thanks for your time to help me. Question: What is the schedule of Moodle server reset? For example: 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm or  1:30 pm, 2:30 pm. This is important to match my schedule of testing.

TIA

Monico

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
Hi Monico. On the front page of the QA Moodle it says : "It is updated daily at 11:00 UTC with the latest fixes for testers to test and do a final check for any problems. Every hour (on the hour) the database and files are reset. " So that is 1, 2,3,4,5, 6 -well and all the other times on the hour smile

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
In case a Moodle tester needs to own a site for a longer period, this offer is still open: "A testbed for Moodle" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=214084.

Note that those sites are empty. You have to transfer the content, for example from the qa site, through course export/import.

My attempt to create sites with content, "The set of Moodle test courses (or sites)" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=213950, got stranded.

Mary, I appreciate a lot your time to answer my question. With this in mind I will match the UTC time with my time zone.

Cheers

Picture of Joost Elshoff

Hi Helen, I just sent you a message to join the testing. When can I start? Joost

Picture of Helen Foster

Hi Joost,

I've just added you to the testers group in the tracker so you can start right away. Great to have so many people keen to help with testing Moodle 2.4... especially on a Friday night! smile

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Hi Helen, I'd love to get involved and help out with this! Richard

Picture of Helen Foster

Thanks Richard, you're now a member of the testers group in the tracker too.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with QA testing over the weekend. We've made a great start, with 59 tests run so far! approve

For more information on our QA cycle progress, please see the QA testing dashboard.

Picture of Graham Stone
Group Testers
Hi Helen, Please could the site upload limit be increased on the QA test site because it appears to be set to 8MB which is causing issues testing the SCORM module? Thanks,

Picture of Helen Foster

Hi Graham,

8MB is actually the server limit. I've created MDLSITE-1997 to request for it to be increased.

Picture of Matthew Spurrier
Group Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hey Graham,

I've increased the server limit to 40MB for you, could you give it a go now please?

Kind Regards,

Matt

Picture of Rakesh Reddy

Hi Helen,

I would like to help with the testing.

Picture of Dan Rapoza

I may be a little late in the game for this, but I'd be happy to help test! I've been testing my local test installation, but I imagine it'd probably be best to test along with everyone else!

We're hoping everything will go well and we can push to production over Christmas break!

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

@Dan,

There are both advantages and drawbacks in conducting tests on your own test site rather than on the "official" moodle test site.

I never conduct tests on the Moodle QA Testing site because I find it agonizing slow. Also, you cannot conduct tests that need some time, as everything you do is reset every hour!

I always conduct the QA tests on my own local machine, making sure that my version of Moodle (2.4 at the moment) is regularly updated to the latest state (I use GIT).

And it's never too late to help. At this time (17 November), there are still 370 "open" issues, so plenty to choose from!

ATB

Joseph

Picture of Helen Foster

Rakesh, thanks for offering to help with QA testing. If you'd like to create an account in the Moodle tracker then let me know, I can add you to the testers group. Another thing you can do is have a play on our QA Testing site perhaps trying out the new features listed in the Moodle  2.4 release notes and post in this forum about any issues you come across.

Dan, I've added you to the testers group in the tracker, so you're now able to pass or fail QA tests in the Moodle 2.4 QA cycle. As Joseph points out, it's certainly not too late to help out! Thanks for volunteering. smile

Picture of Rakesh Reddy

Dear Helen,

Please add me to the testers group. I would like to create an account in the Moodle Tracker.

As mentioned by you, I am looking at QA Testing site. Will post here if I find any issues.

Picture of Helen Foster

Dear Rakesh,

I've added you to the testers group in the tracker, so you're now able to pass or fail QA tests in the Moodle 2.4 QA cycle too. Please see the QA testing guide for details of what to do.

AOSIS Logo
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Helen,

Just messaged you, I would love to assist in testing, please add me to the tester group as well, thanks!

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Nearly 50% of tests passed to-date - thanks everyone!

Thanks Lehane, you're now a member of the testers group too.

Many thanks to everyone who had helped with QA testing up to now. We're almost up to 50% of tests passed in 10 days! approve

If we can ensure that the remaining tests pass in the next 10 days then we'll be able to release Moodle 2.4 as planned at the beginning of December!

Lindy anime style

Hi Helen,

I know its a little late, but would love to help with the testing for Moodle 2.4 wink

All the best,

Lindy

Picture of Helen Foster

Thanks Lindy and Federico, you're both now included in the testers group in the tracker.

Lots of 2.4 QA cycle tests to choose from (currently 268 open) so not to late to join in!

Machu Picchu

Hello Helen I was wondering if I can help with the QA Testing for the 2.4 release. 

TIA

Federico

Picture of Long Le Huy

hi Hellen,

can u send me a test require mesage? i'd like to take part in.

thanks

C'est moi :-)
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi,

I think it's too late for this time : all tests are OK smile

Séverin

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Moodle 2.4 QA cycle now complete

Hi,

As Séverin mentions, all the Moodle 2.4 QA tests are now passed, so the QA cycle is complete. Many thanks to everyone who has helped. smile

As always though, you're welcome to try things out on our Moodle QA Testing site, perhaps some of the new features listed in the Moodle 2.4 release notes and and report any bugs in the Moodle tracker. If you're not sure whether something is a bug or a feature, feel free to post about it in this forum.