No news forum has been created in a new course and no option to select from dropdown list on blocks

No news forum has been created in a new course and no option to select from dropdown list on blocks

by Dave Chapman -
Number of replies: 12

Hi

I want to create a news forum for my course but there is no option for me to create one. From doing some background reading it appears they should be created automatically when the course is created but this hasn't happened. When I have looked back at my courses from a few years ago these have news forums, but no option to create a block from the dropdown list. Can anyone explain what has happened? It seems it may be something which has been done at an admin level (I am just a lowly teacher!) but before I ask IT support I'd like to know what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Chapman

Re: No news forum has been created in a new course and no option to select from dropdown list on blocks

by Graham Stone -
Picture of Testers
Hi Dave, To help find a solution to your problem please could you provide some more information. What version of Moodle are you using and what course layout option did you choose?? Cheers,
In reply to Graham Stone

Re: No news forum has been created in a new course and no option to select from dropdown list on blocks

by Dave Chapman -

Hi Graham, thanks for the fast response. The answer is I don't know, where would I find that information on the Moodle?

Thanks

In reply to Dave Chapman

by Graham Stone -
Picture of Testers
Hi, If you haven't got admin rights I don't think there is an easy way to find what version you are on anymore (it used to tell you by hovering over the Moodle logo at the bottom of the page), you will probably have to check with whoever set up your Moodle. With regards to finding out your course layout all you need to do is click on 'Setting' which can be found in your 'Administration' block, the standard layouts are Topics or Weekly, both of these should include the New Forum by default. Cheers,
In reply to Graham Stone

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In your course administration settings, you should have a dropdown for number of news items. Set it to a number greater than 0 and when you refresh your page it should create a news forum.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dave Chapman -

Thanks Mary, I have already tried this. It was originally set to 5 with no news forum. So I have set it to 0, and then set it back to 5. I still have no news forum.

Is it actually possible to disable the news forum at an admin level? If its not even possible then I know that's not the problem.

Thanks

Dave

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Donna Hrynkiw -

> In your course administration settings, you should have a dropdown for number of news items. Set it to a number greater than 0 and when you refresh your page it should create a news forum.

AND add the "Latest News" block to your course.

In reply to Graham Stone

by Dave Chapman -

Hi Graham

I don't think I have access to the version details but I can email IT to find out. The layout is set to Topics.

Thanks

Dave

In reply to Dave Chapman

by Dave Chapman -

This problem has now been solved by our IT dept, it was something at their level which needed changing.

Thanks for your posts

Dave

In reply to Dave Chapman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Dave - you aren't related to Roger from CLEO land are you? (another forum in another  place with same issue) Just wondered if the IT dept are able to share what needed changing so others may benefit. (The suggestion there too was to add the latest news block to the course)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dave Chapman -

I think so! I'll ask him what he did. Was it a post on this site?

Dave

In reply to Dave Chapman

by Tania Ramirez -

yeah please, can you tell us how did they solved the problem?

I'm having the exact same problem, and can't find a solution =(

In reply to Tania Ramirez

by Miguel Santos -

Hi,

I have found that adding the Latest News block will create a news forum if one does not exist in a course.