Roles and permissions

Assist Admin Role

Picture of Debbie McDonald
Assist Admin Role

I am trying to create a role, that requires some system access. I don't want this person to show up as a training manager in all of the courses though. Do you know which line of code allows them to show up in all courses?

We are using Moodle 2.2.4

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Assist Admin Role
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
Try the capablity moodle/course:view and take a look here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Other_users

Hi Mary,

I am trying to assign this at a system, category level, is that possible? I have enabled. When a student enrolls they see this person as a Training Manager, across the site. This person is also receiving notifications.

View courses without participation moodle/course:view                            
View hidden courses moodle/course:viewhiddencourses                            
View hidden sections moodle/course:viewhiddensections                            
View hidden user fields moodle/course:viewhiddenuserfields                        
View participants moodle/course:viewparticipants                            
View scales moodle/course:viewscales                            
Activities
View hidden activitiesmoodle/course:viewhiddenactivities   

Well after re-reading this, it does not make a bit of sense. Basically I do not want this trainer to show up on anyone elses courses but, he needs to have access to them just incase they need help.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Debbie.  How about just giving the role the capability  moodle/course:view and then assigning it in the system context and then in Assign System roles, giving it to someone and seeing if this works? They should be able to access courses but not appear n the participants list - just in the "other roles" section.

Okay I created a role and just added "moodle/course:view" with the system box checked off. The name is not showing up in the courses. I will attach this role, this time for sure. @.@

It is too big to attach so I posted: http://hss.state.ak.us/gcdse/test/admin-assist.pdf

Mary Cooch

Hi Debbie -according to that pdf you have almost every context ticked as well as systemsmile Remove the ticks from user/category.course/activity module/block  and ONLY have it as system. Then see how you get on.

Hi Mary,

I am just now able to get back to this and I feel like such an ignoramous.... I don't understand what you mean. I am looking for: moodle/course:view? I only find that exact phrase in Course and Activities. Also, do I click "prevent"?

I don't understand this:  user/category.course/activity module/block

Mary Cooch

Hi Debbie.I'm suggesting this (and click "allow"):

Picture of Carol Howells

hi Mary I'd like to piggy back on your post here and ask for help.

I have a course admin role based at system level. As you have posted, view courses without participation is checked. However for my role, system, user, category and course are checked.

So far so good, in that users assigned here do not appear in the course participants list but under other users.

The problem I have is that users allocated this role at category level appear in all the course participants list under all participants. I can't remove them from this list and as a consequence all the courses in the categories they are assigned too are also appearing under the My Courses block.

I did not set up these roles but have inherited them. I have checked and they are only allocated this role at category level. Do you have any ideas please?

Mary Cooch

If you have system checked then I don't think you need to have user, category and course checked as well. What happens when you uncheck those boxes? And if they have the role as a system role and have view courses without participation, then why are they allocated at category level when they should be able to see all courses?

Picture of Carol Howells

Hi Mary

my users who are course admins at system level do not show up in the course participants list.

I have another set of users who are not course admins at system level but category level and all these users show up in the course participants list.

I did a test and ensured I only had the role checked at system level but then I was unable to assign anyone that role at category level (which I need).

Picture of Carol Howells

Well finally I tracked it down and it's made my day!

It was legacy category enrolments left over from 1.9...

Thanks for all the help and happy moodling!