TaskChain (preliminary version available)

TaskChain (preliminary version available)

by Gordon Bateson -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Moodle HotPotters and QuizPorters,

you may be interested to know that a preliminary version of the TaskChain module is now available for Moodle 2.x. TaskChain is the successor to the QuizPort module. It provides the same functionality, except that TaskChain runs on Moodle 2.x, where QuizPort runs on Moodle 1.x.

I should stress that this is just a preliminary version of TaskChain, so don't consider putting it on a production Moodle server yet. I am offering to you at this time so that you can see how far it has come, and to help me find and fix remaining problems.

I already know that this "alpha" version of TaskChain doen't have any reports yet, and that the post-conditions don't lead to the next task automatically. They take you to a menu of available tasks instead. I will fix those two issues over the next week or so.

You are welcome to download the new TaskChain module and try it out on your Moodle 2.x site. It should work on *any* version of Moodle 2.x, starting at Modle 2.0.

I have uploaded a zip file of the module to the moodle.org -> Plugins repository, but that is still waiting for "approval", so you can't download it from there just yet. You can however download it from my refurbsihed rsearch computer:

I look forward to receiving your comments, suggestions and feedback about the new module !

best regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: TaskChain (preliminary version available)

by Philippe Decloitre -

Hello Gordon,

Great news indeed!
I look forward to reviewing this first upshot from Quizport.
I am still ready to give a hand at translating.

Just a quiestion: how can TC work with any Moodle 2.x when aliases only work starting with 2.3+?

At any rate: Beau travail!
Philippe

In reply to Philippe Decloitre

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

HI Philippe,

> how can TC work with any Moodle 2.x
> when aliases only work starting with 2.3+?

If aliases are available, as they are on Moodle 2.3 and later, then TaskChain - and HotPot for that matter - will use them.  On Moodle 2.0 - 2.2, neither TaskChain nor HotPot will use file aliases because, as you say, they are not available.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by james aco -

Hello Sir,

i just installed taskchain and add hotpot activity

the problems that i'm facing with are:

1. when deleting task. the page stuck at ../mod/taskchain/edit/task.php

but it seems that the task was deleted from DB. 

2. does Taskchan support hotpot files?

as i tried to add some hot pot extension file and nothing appear in page.

3. there is a way to import quizport activity to Taskchan activity, as i have i big course ready made with quizport

Thank you

In reply to james aco

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi James,
1. thanks for the feedback about deleting a task - I will investigate.
2. Yes, TaskChain supports Hot Potatoes files. Why do you ask? Are you having trouble adding Hot Potatoes as tasks?
3. We cannot convert Moodle 1.9 QuizPorts to Moodle 2.x TaskChains yet, but it will become possible when I get to it.
regards
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hallelujah! Particularly since it does not require 2.3. I just came to forum to take a peek at what was going on. I find it arduous to chain a bunch of Hot Pots together and track each grade. Back the the QuizPort days, I just told students that I gave them 100% or 0% based on whether they completed the QuizPort of not no matter what conditions, usually 90%, that I set for the Hot Pots.

Much thanks Gordon. I have found adapting to Moodle2 tough row to hoe. I can see how it must be a chore to figure out how to get a QP-like activity to work.

Thanks,
Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi there HotPot fans,

the TaskChain has been approved for the Moodle.org -> plugins repository (thanks Aparup), so you can dopwnload the module from there now, as well as from my research server.

I have spent an enjoyable day setting up GIT repositories, so hopefully we are not far off making TaskChain available via GIT too.

I would like to remind everyone that TaskChain is still "Alpha" status, so it is not ready for production servers yet. That said though, I encourage you to experiment with it if you can, especially if you have not used Moodle 2.x before, because the different way of handling files will be something of a surprize. You may be shocked. You may well get upset. That would be normal behavior in my view. But rest assured, you can do it.

TaskChain works on all versions of Modole 2.x, but to get the most out of sharing files between activities, I strongly recommend using Modole 2.3 so that you can make the most of the file linking functionality, which is not available on Modole 2.0 - 2.2.

If you would like to test drive the module, you can do so here:

The above site has a "File system" repository set up, called "site files" which you contains files you can link to when adding a new TaskChain acitvity.

enjoy
Gordon

by Philippe Decloitre -

Hello Gordon,

I recently installed Moodle 2.3.3+ on my work PC (W7, 64) and TC

I'm impressed. . .

One bug report: I asked TC to have the exercises displayed in a popup window and it answered:

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Cannot access unknown property, inpopup, of taskchain_require object.

More information about this error

I tried again in "same window" mode and it worked perfectly.

Hope it's useful,

Philippe

by Gordon Bateson -

Thank you Philippe
I have made a note of the error and will fix it in due course.

please keep the feedback coming in wink

regards
Gordon.

by Jeff Finnan -

Got same error under similar conditions with 2.2.3+ (Build: 20120624)

Jeff