Pull vs. Push in Moodle

Pull vs. Push in Moodle

by Jose Navas -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

I'm just wondering about the "push and pull" idea of let the seasoned and more experienced students just grab the materials they need (resources, videos, lessons, job aids, reference materials, etc). For us (teachers, instructional designers and moodle administrators), we want to make them as easy to find and as accessible as possible.

Following that, what could be the best way to implement that in Moodle? I make my mind that this not necessary to create a "new course" for every new material or resource. I was thinking that maybe the front page 'site files' may work for this, but then for security reasons I don't want this to be available to people outside of my organization.

Any thoughts or help is welcome smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jose Navas

Re: Pull vs. Push in Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. I saw your first post before Colin suggested you post to the General Developers's forum but I didn't reply as I'm not sure what you are meaning (and I'm not a developerbig grin) However, you talk about the front page "site files" which only existed in Moodle 1.9. The system is different in 2+. Can you say which version of Moodle you are using? You could actually just put all your resources on the front page anyway and then in Security>Site policies set Moodle access to "force users to login". Then the outside world won't be able to get to them.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Thinking about this a little more, the potential security risks are much higher, as well the practicalities of offering such a specific service may undemine what is trying to be achieved. As Mary has suggested, in v1.9.x the site files are wide open to anyone who can guess the URL could, potentially, wreck both the uploads and downloads. (As most damaging cracks are made by someone trusted, who is already past the firewall with legitimate access, even forcing users to login may not safeguard the site.) 

I read it to mean that the User would be able to use the Moodle itself, essentially, as a repository. You are asking if Users are be enabled to push, upload, completed assignments to a specific point, and pull, download, new assignments from a different point. Moodle does this already, in a formalized course structure. I take it you are asking for a simpler method than this formal course structure to be able to upload and download. 

I am sure someone could work it out, but how it could be done without compromising site security, or risking confidentiality, or maintaining the integrity of the User uploads, (I mean ensuring the person uplaoding is really the person who should be uploading), is beyond me. I think probably not really worth the effort to pursue it - the risks are higher than the gains. 

One potential way around this is using the course structire and that only consists of downloadable assignments, titled properly, of course, and those assignments have uploadable responses, either single or multiple files types. Stll need courses, but they have nothing but assingments in them.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Jose Navas -

Thanks Colin,

I think that maybe the administrators and teachers only could add this resources, in this way the security of the site would not be compromised.

Students contributions can still be available in the course's activities, maybe a teacher can choose the best contributions and those become available outside of the course in the front page (or another learning unit, which name we have not decided yet smile ).

Better yet, both fellow students and teachers can vote (+1) on the best resources and the ones with most points will get to the front page of honor.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jose Navas -

Thanks Mary,

Yep, we still have Moodle 1.9 in my organization (I wish we don't...).

My point of what I'm trying to say is well summarized by Ben's post:

"I know what I'm doing. Just give me the stuff I need/want"

In this way Moodle can serve to both novice and experienced users. Courses are still our main concern in the learning process, but there is some learning stuff that does not fit well in the course idea like: the latest checklist on how to start and run an engine, a handy guide on the location of cards in the control unit, a picture with the location and names of the aircraft antennas, etc.

I definitely will explore that feature of force users to login in order to access the front page resources. Thank you.

In reply to Jose Navas

by ben reynolds -

> I make my mind that this not necessary to create a "new course" for every new material or resource.

I may be misunderstanding what you mean. It isn't necessary to make a new course for each item. You can place all materials and resources in one course and call the course something meaning "I know what I'm doing. Just give me the stuff I need/want."

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to ben reynolds

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Thanks Ben, that is what I am talking about.. though not clearly... very long day yesterday..smile

In reply to ben reynolds

by Jose Navas -

Thanks Ben,

You make my point! I think that approach may work for me!