Transferring Questions from Quizzes to Question Banks/Categories

Transferring Questions from Quizzes to Question Banks/Categories

by Peter Monaghan -
Number of replies: 2

Hi, I am from a University that has just switched over to Moodle.

I want to either:

(A) duplicate question banks

(B) export quizzes to question banks

Is either possible?

We had a whole lot of question banks for our chemistry subject, transferred from Blackboard to Moodle. The question banks contained old mistakes, and we figured it'd be a good time to clean them up now.

For the sake of caution, rather than making edits directly to the question bank questions in Moodle, I created quizzes, one for each question category, eg 'Isotopes' is a question bank, and it is also a quiz I made. I fixed all the spelling mistakes and so on, in the quiz.

However, there seems to be no efficient way I can export all the questions from quizzes to create new question banks/categories?

The method I have been using is extremely time-consuming: basically, I have to create a new category for each edited question bank. Then I have to edit each question in each quiz, individually.

For each individual question, I click edit, then I uncheck the 'Use this category' box, and I change the category to the newly created Question Bank category. Then I scroll down to the bottom and I click 'Make Copy'. This saves a duplicate of the quiz question, into the desired category in the question banks.

It works, and it's a good way of duplicating question banks, but it's just very, very time-consuming and quite menial: we have close to ten thousand questions, and I am doing this job on my own. Are there any ways to speed this up?

Cheers

Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Monaghan

Re: Transferring Questions from Quizzes to Question Banks/Categories

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In Moodle, the question bank is independent of particular quizzes. (Well, more or less.) You can export a category of questions from the question bank. If you then re-import that, you have effectively duplicated the category. Anyway, look at the various options under 'Question bank' in the settings block.
In reply to Peter Monaghan

Re: Transferring Questions from Quizzes to Question Banks/Categories

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I'm trying to do this as well. I imported a quiz, and a teacher noticed that 13 questions did not appear, so she went in and manually created the remaining questions. The manually made questions are not in any quiz bank... just in this quiz. Is there a way to export this quiz into a quiz bank? So I can replicate this quiz in another course?

I already tried importing (into the new course) just the part/section that contained the quiz (from the other course) but only the settings were transferred over, not the questions. I'm trying to avoid manually putting in these 13 questions into the other course as well. Any suggestions? Thank you.