Windows server: SQLSRV v FreeTDS drivers for production Moodle platforms

Windows server: SQLSRV v FreeTDS drivers for production Moodle platforms

by Robert Velo -
Number of replies: 10

We have recently upgraded our Moodle from 1.9 running on Linux to 2.2.5+ running on Microsoft platforms.

- Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

- IIS 7.5

- php 5.3.17

- wincache 1.1.0630.0

- MSSQL 10.50.1807.0

- SQLSRV DB driver

We are currently experiencing some commonly reported problems on our production environment.

1.  cronjob failing

2.  DB backups failing

3.  Updating a file in an existing file resource

All three look like they may be related to the sqlsrv DB driver issue where:

"New transaction is not allowed because there are other threads running in the session"

We have been tuning our systems left right and center over the last two weeks and I am reluctant to switch from the SQLSRV driver to the FreeTDS driver based on lost of conflicting reports in the community.

I have recently brought it down to two realistic options:

1.  Switch to FreeTDS driver for MSSQL DB

2.  Override the sqlsrv to use a new DB connection only for new transactions where there is already an existing recordset active which has not been freed and the new query is for a delete or update.

I would much rather option one above as it is the most obvious.

Our site has about 2000 courses and about 15000 users.

Would anyone out there using FreeTDS for production with similar user and course number advise of their experiences and recommendations please?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Velo

Re: Windows server: SQLSRV v FreeTDS drivers for production Moodle platforms

by Nils Finnsson -

We've been running FreeTDS with both 1.9.5 and currently 2.3.1. 1.9.5 has been in place since 2009 and 2.3.1 since May (~5 months). A couple hundred courses and a few thousand users.

The new 2.3.1 environment is very similar to yours. 2k8r2 in a VM, php 5.3.13, backend on an SQL 2005 (9.00.3175.00) cluster. Your post just made me realize I need to move this DB to the new cluster.

Cron jobs are running, i'm doing backups through an MP and item 3 I haven't had any problems with (that I know of).

Not sure if my post is helpful smile

In reply to Nils Finnsson

by Robert Velo -

Thank you for your response Nils, it is much appreciated.

You have confirmed what I suspected about the driver so we are going to carry out regression and volume testing on the FreeDTS driver and push it out if appropriate.

I really appreciate your helpful advice and wish you all the best  with your implementation.

Kind regards.

In reply to Robert Velo

by Brad Meyer -
We, also, had major issues with the cronjob when we were using the native mssql driver. Our setup is almost identical to yours. We switched to the FreeTDS driver and it fixed all our problems.
In reply to Brad Meyer

by Robert Velo -

Thanks Brad.

Out of curiosity....were you only experiencing problems with cron or did you also see file upload/replace issues with timeouts?

Regards,

Rob Velo

In reply to Robert Velo

by Brad Meyer -

I never heard of any file upload issues, but I didn't specifically test that myself. The main reason was because of the cron job.

If you're using IE9 and trying to do "Drag and Drop" for file uploads, that's just flat out broken right now.

In reply to Brad Meyer

by Robert Velo -

Fantastic feedback guys - Much appreciated!!

Rob V

In reply to Robert Velo

by Yustas Genrikhov -

...php 5.3.17

Please, let me know if you use win32 binaries other than from windows.php.net?

Where did you get this kind of binaries? Could you please help with some instructions?

My task is installation Moodle to Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, MSSQL 2008 R2 Express, PHP 5.3.2+.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Yustas Genrikhov

by sadoon zuhary -

Hi,my problem is i coudent open php files which are chosen from moodle,Moreover my computer system is window seven .I  also instal xamp program . 

In reply to Yustas Genrikhov

by sadoon zuhary -

Yes, iuse win 32

In reply to sadoon zuhary

by sadoon zuhary -

sorry,idon't understand what you mean bySQLSRV,could you state your opinion please,and i have recieved many letters but i can understand the benfit of theses lettes because some times the idea is more mysterious,thanhs