Simple Pass/Fail grade

Simple Pass/Fail grade

by Slobodan Gogic -
Number of replies: 1

Hello everyone,

I need to create a quick course with only one quiz in it. (I know that this info is probably in the manual, but as said I need it for yesterday, and I already bought some books to help me with Moodle and waiting for them to arrive).

Here is scenario:

A course with single quiz in it. Quiz contains ALWAYS of 30 questions, and only grade scale is needed to be PASS or FAIL where pass is anything above 20 correct questions(not percentage). What I need is instead of A,B,C to show PASS or FAIL depending on result of the quiz test. Preferably to print that at the end of the test instead of 1 out of 20, or 26% or similar that I have seen already. Like YOU FAILED MISSERABLY or YOU PWNED IT if you know what I mean ;)

Step by step would be appreciated, or at least some example article where I can read how to set it up that way.

Thanks in advance
Boban

In reply to Slobodan Gogic

Re: Simple Pass/Fail grade

by Paula Clough -

Slobodan,

Brainstorming here. 

In the course setting of the course you create:

• Show gradebook to students, set at NO.  So whatever shows in the gradebook, it doesn't matter as far as the students are concerned.

In the Quiz settings:

• Set how questions behave to Deferred feedback
  • Review options:
    • During the attempt should be greyed out
    • Immediately after the attempt: uncheck everything.  If you want them to see feedback right after the test then click Overall feedback.
    • Later while the quiz is still open and after the quiz is closed, make sure you uncheck everything if you don't want students going back to see their grades.  If you want them to see the feedback at these time, uncheck everything but the Overall feedback.
  • Overall feedback
    • fill in the grade range you want for pass message and add a nice pass message. You can use graphics here if you want. This is what they will see after they finish the test if they pass.
    • go to the next window and fill in the grade boundry for the fail message.  This is the message they will see if they fail the test.

The grades in the gradebook will stil show percentages but they will not show to the students.

I hope that helps.

Paula Clough cool