Game (add-on)

Picture of David Morrow
Games Module - Completion Error

Greetings - and apologies if I am posting this to the wrong place.

The Crossword and Hangman games are giving the following error and stack trace. Any help would be greatly appreciated - our teacher really like these. The error comes after checking the the puzzle. These errors are coming after installing the latest version of the Game module in response to a different error. We are running Moodle 2.3.2 (Build: 20120910).

Many thanks in advance,

David Morrow

Mobile, AL

------

An internal error occurred in the completion system. (System administrators can enable debugging information to see more detail.)

More information about this error

Debug info: Module game claims to support
FEATURE_COMPLETION_HAS_RULES but does not have required
game_get_completion_state function
Error code: err_system
Stack trace:
  • line 1255 of /lib/completionlib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 593 of /lib/completionlib.php: call to completion_info->internal_systemerror()
  • line 517 of /lib/completionlib.php: call to completion_info->internal_get_state()
  • line 1186 of /lib/completionlib.php: call to completion_info->update_state()
  • line 836 of /lib/grade/grade_grade.php: call to completion_info->inform_grade_changed()
  • line 347 of /lib/grade/grade_object.php: call to grade_grade->notify_changed()
  • line 750 of /lib/grade/grade_grade.php: call to grade_object->insert()
  • line 1677 of /lib/grade/grade_item.php: call to grade_grade->insert()
  • line 284 of /lib/gradelib.php: call to grade_item->update_raw_grade()
  • line 500 of /mod/game/lib.php: call to grade_update()
  • line 1034 of /mod/game/locallib.php: call to game_grade_item_update()
  • line 694 of /mod/game/locallib.php: call to game_save_best_score()
  • line 175 of /mod/game/cross/crossdb_class.php: call to game_updateattempts()
  • line 111 of /mod/game/cross/crossdb_class.php: call to CrossDB->game_cross_computecheck()
  • line 104 of /mod/game/cross/play.php: call to CrossDB->loadcross()
  • line 18 of /mod/game/cross/play.php: call to game_cross_play()
  • line 126 of /mod/game/attempt.php: call to game_cross_continue()
  • line 25 of /mod/game/attempt.php: call to game_do_attempt()

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rob Johnson
Re: Games Module - Completion Error
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Does turning off activity completion clear the error?  I am not offering that as a fix, but it looks like that is generating the error.

Picture of David Morrow

Thanks for the rapid response. The short answer is "sort of".

Here are results with the following settings

• "Do not indicate activity completion" = no error
  • "Students can manually mark..." = no error
  • "Show activity as complete when conditions are met" and the condition "Student must view..." = no error
  • "Show activity as complete when conditions are met" and the condition "Student must receive a grade..." = ERROR
  • "Show activity as complete when conditions are met" and BOTH conditions selected = no error (this one really surprised me)

And this little something extra with that last situation - if I try to change the settings (logged in as admin) from both conditions to just "Student must receive a grade...", the following error and stack trace result:

An internal error occurred in the completion system. (System administrators can enable debugging information to see more detail.)
More information about this error
Debug info: Module game claims to support
FEATURE_COMPLETION_HAS_RULES but does not have required
game_get_completion_state function
Error code: err_system
Stack trace:
    •    line 1255 of /lib/completionlib.php: moodle_exception thrown
    •    line 593 of /lib/completionlib.php: call to completion_info->internal_systemerror()
    •    line 517 of /lib/completionlib.php: call to completion_info->internal_get_state()
    •    line 821 of /lib/completionlib.php: call to completion_info->update_state()
    •    line 387 of /course/modedit.php: call to completion_info->reset_all_state()

The changes seem to stay, but returning to the activity settings and saving again returns the same error. And a student account receives the previous error when exiting the activity.

I would be happy to provide any more information, and thanks again for any help or insight.

David

Picture of Rob Johnson

I think the best way to get this fixed would be to create an issue in the tracker.  The game module developer will get the issue assigned to him by default.  In the past, he has been reasonably quick in fixing issue with the module.  If you create a tracker item, please post the number back here so others can vote/watch it.

Picture of JD Moodle

Yeah, he's been absent from Moodle forums since last Feb of 2012

Picture of JD Moodle

Sorry, according to his profile (https://moodle.org/user/view.php?id=22735&course=5) Vasilis last logged into this site Oct 11th, 2012.  You may want to message him.

He is also accepting donations (I have donated).  The games module is massive and fantastic.

Picture of JD Moodle

Hi David,

I heavily used this module in my Moodle 2.2.x -- it has some minor quirks and bugs but generally worked well. 

I've started a brand new Moodle 2.3 and have not installed the game module yet.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=206091

A few people posted that they found no problems under 2.3, but none of them said they use Course Completion features.

My question: If you disable course completion, does it work fine?

Picture of Rob Johnson
I have use it with 2.3 since upgrading in August. The module was updated after CONTRIB-3795 was reported in the tracker.

Picture of David Morrow

Sorry I've gotten behind in my replies.

Everything seems fine as long as the completion tracking is not using "Student must receive grade" as the completion condition.

The teachers who were having the problem seem happy now that they know to leave off that one option, so I haven't taken the time to start a tracker item.

Thanks, all!

David

Picture of Rob Johnson
Did you report the problem in the tracker? It will speed up getting it fixed. If you have, please post the tracker number here.

Picture of Vasilis Daloukas
Re: Re: Games Module - Completion Error

Now works ok (I think so) with completions.

Try the new version at https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_game