Course Copy

Course Copy

by Autumm Caines -
Number of replies: 10
Looking for some help here - we just made a switch from Blackboard to Moodle and we are hosted by Moodlerooms. Currently running 2.2.3. We are looking for a better way to do course copies or course templateing. Moodle's backup and restore works really well and gives us an exact copy of the course - exactly what we are looking for - but the problem is that as a part of the restore process the instructor has the option to change the course short name and worse off is the fact that it defaults to the name of the course that you are restoring. We identify courses by the short name and run enrollments based on shortname - we actually do not allow instructors to change shortnames. So, for now, we have shut off the ability for instructors to restore courses and we have them import instead - however, imports tend to be messy. We are wanting to start a course templating process for a bunch of programs and it looks like us admins are going to have to restore the templates into the actual courses which is going to be a pain. Is there anyway to allow instructors to restore courses without giving them the ability to change the shortname. We want the shortname to be static for each course and allow for restores to bring over content but not change the shortname of the course.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Autumm Caines

Re: Course Copy

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

In the Teacher Role there is the ability to change the short name of a course. The default is set to Allow, but you can change that by unchecking the permission box.

Go to Site Administration > Users > Define Roles > Teacher (or whatever Roles you want to change this on) and click the Edit button. Search for "short" and you should find the lines:

Change course short name
moodle/course:changeshortname

Checkbox is alongside.

Cheers...

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Autumm Caines -
Thanks Colin, However, this is not working for me. It does shut off the ability of the instructor to change the course shortname in edit settings but not upon restore. Check out this screenshot http://screencast.com/t/rEEgni8sm

by Colin Fraser -

mmmm AFAIK, denying a capability is an effective strategy as Moodle permissions are recalculated every change of page, which slows the change process but maintains higher levels of security.It should not make any difference either way.

What you are showing in this image is another process. I understand the database uses the course shortnames as a key index for search strings, therefore it cannot be duplicated in the database. This is an automatic process and cannot be hacked. If the course is the same, restore the course into the created one or if there is duplication of sections, select the bits that need be used and discard those that do not.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Colin Fraser -

I have been looking at this for a while and what I put above is both right and wrong. It is right from the perspective ofthe backup and restore process is different than renaming courses while editing. There is no permissions about what a user can or cannot restore, therefore the issue of renaming courses while restoring. There is no way to change this without hacking the code.

I suggest you go into General Developer's Forum and ask how to render the Name and Short Name text boxes inactive, making them inaccessible by the person restoring the course. That is the only thing I can think of that has a remote chance of working. I suspect an IF statement in the formslib that separates out the restore form and deactivates those two dialogue boxes, otherwisse the form runs normally.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Autumm Caines -

Thank you Colin,

since we are hosted by Moodlerooms I don't know if they will tweak core for me. Or at least I don't know how much they will charge us to make the change. Do you think this is something that I should put in a tracker request for? That is, a request for an admin setting that would do two things 1. make it so that a course being restored into another course retains the name of the target course and not the course that has the content. 2. allow me to indicate that a teacher may not change the short name of a course. 

by Colin Fraser -

It does make for an interesting exception does it not? The capability can be granted or removed by a simple switch with the course, but the backup/restore makes no presuppositions about what may or may not be done. All you can do is ask as a tracker item. It does not appear to be a huge request, I suspect, but I really don't know. Having said that, it may mean changes to the capabilities of users, which may entail some serious work in the database, the code - so one of the developers may be abe to help. Discuss it with Moodlerooms, first though, they may have an alternate solution already in place - don't know until you ask.   

Good luck..

by ben reynolds -
Following Colin to say that Moodle has the ability to bulk create courses (we don't use that, but it exists -- Google it). We create many sections of the same course using the role admin or manager or whatnot, and don't prohibit but don't advocate that teachers replicate classrooms. Teachers typically don't want to do that replication. So, typically, I use one backup of a course template to make many sections of the same course. Unless you are talking sections/classrooms (Moodlespeak = "courses") in the hundreds or thousands, your admin(s) can do the replication, and just leave the teachers out of it. My procedure is to restore a backup, give it a shortname that makes sense, give it a long name and a description that makes sense, restore = OK. Then add the teacher, and go on to the next section/classroom. Deep info: our course info system decides our shortname (typically something like RUL1-131B) which means nothing to teachers but everything to our use of csv files to enroll students.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Autumm Caines -

Thanks Ben,

our teachers are actually used to being able to copy content from one course to another for themselves in blackboard. Since we are less than a year into the conversion perception is everything.  Taking this away is putting new items on the plates of our admins and some of our faculty see it as a more complicated process. What they used to be able to do for themselves they now have to issue a request for - and wait till the admin can get to it. Right now we actually have them use the import feature but that has issues with formatting. We are working with an instructional designer now to create templates and will need exact copies as we go forward. 

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
You might check out the plugin Sharing Cart. Not designed for full course copy but an awesome plugin for sharing assignments/activities between courses.