General help

Picture of David Weeks
Student using Rubrics for Self-Assessment

I have setup several grading rubrics for various activities in moodle and have been using these rubrics to successfully grade student work for many weeks now. I am wanting to take the usage of rubrics one-step further though, I want students to be able to use them to self-assess their own work. I have been able to give the students access to see the rubrics, but the students can not operate the rubrics (use them to generate scores themselves). Does anyone know how I can get this done?

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Student using Rubrics for Self-Assessment
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Have you looked at the Workshop module? This can be used for self and peer assessment 

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Sue Bradtke

In working with teachers in professional development I have been asked this question. Here is a strategy for allowing students to use a rubric for self-assessment:

Rubrics are an item that is graded within Moodle. Students do not have permission to grade so they will not be able to use a rubric by clicking on criteria and adding comments. However, there is a way to work around this if you have an activity where you would like students to self-reflect on a rubric.

Assign students to the Non-editing teacher role for a specific activity. The role of Non-editing teacher allows grading but not editing of the course. When assigning students to this role within an activity, they can only grade within that activity.

Let's say you want students to use a rubric as a self-assessment tool for a project. Create an assignment in Moodle and add the rubric. Assign students the role of non-editing teacher in this assignment only.

There is a potential drawback to consider. Students will be able to see and "grade" the rubric of all other students. However, you will know if a student has graded the rubric of another student. The profile picture and name of the last grading teacher or non-editing teacher always displays with the graded rubric.

Picture of llywelyn morgan

or use the workshop module as mary has suggested, and they can only assess their own!

Picture of Rob Monk

Workshop is a cumbersome beast with it's phases and examples and the need to have all work submitted before moving on to the assessment phase.

Yuk.

Can workshop use a rubric I have already set up in Advanced Grading?

Here's how it should work.

1. Set assignment
  2. Design advanced grading rubric.
  3. When student submits assignment they must assess themselves on the rubric. Click the boxes for where they are. Even write some comments. Exactly the same rubric screen the teacher sees. They can only see their own.
  4. When the teacher opens the work to grade it the rubic already has the students self assessment on it. When the teacher clicks a box on the rubric it goes a different color. eg Student  Red Shading, Teacher Green Shading.
  5. Allow teacher to decidie what percentage of the final mark is determined by self and teacher assessment eg make Final Grade 80% Teacher: 20% Self. or Final Grade is 100% Teacher Assessment 0% Self Assessment.

Is this a feature request?