New PoodLL supports HTML5 audio and video recording

New PoodLL supports HTML5 audio and video recording

by Justin Hunt -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have just posted a new version of PoodLL, which allows audio and video recordings to be submitted from mobile devices. Basically anywhere you would usually see a PoodLL flash audio recorder, video recorder, snapshot camera or  whiteboard, you now see a file upload button.

Here's a

. It will work also from any of the PoodLL repositories, the PoodLL recording question type, or the PoodLL multimedia database activity field.

It has basically just become possible to do this now,  because in iOS 6 Apple added file upload ability to mobile safari. (I can't  imagine why it wasn't there all along.) I have not been able to give it a real workout on android, because I don't have a good device for testing. But initial reports indicate I should get a good device for testing.

For audio recording we simply get the student to record their voice while taking a video. Since we know the student intends to record audio, when we display their uploaded file, we use an audio player so that the video is not shown. While not perfect it is at least simple. There is no need to install any video editing framework on the server, and no need to use our tokyo.poodll.com server. The uploaded files are uploaded straight into the Moodle site from the device.

If anyone wants to try it out, you can do so on our demo site, http://demo.poodll.com

It can be downloaded from http://www.poodll.com

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

Re: New PoodLL supports HTML5 audio and video recording

by Wen Hao Chuang -

Hi Justin, any recent development about PoodLL? Would love to hear more updates from you. Thanks!

In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Justin Hunt -

Well there have been a lot of little changes under, and some above the hood, since HTML5 recording came out. Though in 2013 I have been distracted by other projects, so PoodLL has not had a lot of attention.

There will be a new plugin out soon on Moodle.org, "PoodLL Feedback," that allows you leave audio/video/picture feedback on assignments(2.3+). It is already available on PoodLL.com in the downloads section.

Also the PoodLL Assignment(2.3+) submission type has been available for ages but because of issue MDLSITE-1969 I could not upload it to Moodle.org. That problem was resolved last week, so this week I can submit it to the add ons database.

And I will be moving the source code for PoodLL onto github soon I hope. We currently have our source code in Google Code.

I really should put out another newsletter ...

Was there anything in particular that you were hoping would have happened?

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Justin Hunt -

Oh and super Moodler/PoodLLer Steve Lewis made a much better HTML5 recording demo video.