Moving from V2.0.x to 2.3.2

Moving from V2.0.x to 2.3.2

by Humanage SRL -
Number of replies: 8

We have a very large installation (90,000 users) in Moodle Version 2.0 on Red Hat Linux 5 64bit with 6 Front end Servers (Apache), 10 Application  Servers (Apache and PHP), and 4 DB MAchine (Oracle).

• Does anyone have a solid experience if the version V2.3.2. generates bottlenecks on one of the three layers?

• Someone tested in large installations the Moodle Universal Cache (MUC) effectiveness in version 2.4?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Humanage SRL

Re: Moving from V2.0.x to 2.3.2

by Michael Spall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Testers

We have been running 2.3.1+ in production since August and have been running 2.3.2+ since Oct 5th. Our Moodle installation doesn't have as many users, ~70k, and we run on 1 webserver and 1 DB. Here are more details:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=212411&parent=930374

We have upgraded every August and December to stay current with latest 2.x release. Our upgrade from Moodle 2.2 to Moodle 2.3 did not see performance hits on the server side. We did see a performance change on the client side loading all the JS and AJAX for drag and drop when turning on editing in a course. When turning on editing, the page still loads fast but the javascript takes about 10 secs to finish to the point where you get the message "Drag and drop files onto course sections to upload them." There are tracker issues working on this, for example, MDL-34328, MDL-35569, and MDL-35672.

I beleive the MUC is still waiting integration, see MDL-34224. I would be interested in helping test the MUC. It looks like Tim Barker is working on developing a test procedure for the MUC for 2.4, see MDLTEST-328.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Michael Spall

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

2.0 was a beta version in all but name, so I think getting out of that is probably a good idea.

We recently did load testing for 2.3 which actually showed a slight performance increase since 2.2, but we don't have comparisons for 2.0. (So far, 2.4 is slower again. smile

--sam

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Spall

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi all

Michael Spall wrote:
>
> Our upgrade from Moodle 2.2 to Moodle 2.3 did not see performance hits on the server side. We did see a performance change on the client side loading all the JS and AJAX for drag and drop when turning on editing in a course. When turning on editing, the page still loads fast but the javascript takes about 10 secs to finish to the point where you get the message "Drag and drop files onto course sections to upload them."

This is alarming - the accelerating server requirements now spilling in the the client. See for example, "Further slowdown and incompatability in move from 2.2. to 2.3" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=212229. I believe this is the result of new bells and whistles in the user interface.

> There are tracker issues working on this, for example, MDL-34328, MDL-35569, and MDL-35672.

Storm the polls!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Humanage SRL

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Unlike the previous posters, I can't claim to have experience in Moodle installations of 100 k users. Still, I hope my obervations of the (relative) ressource consumption along various Moodle versions is of some use.

1. You are lucky, if you don't have performance problems with 90 k users on Moodle 2.0. Either they are not heavy users or your armada of machines keep them at bay. Read the "Performance FAQ -> "How do you define concurrent_users?" to get the kind of usage pattern we are interested in.

2. Every new generation of Moodle arrived with a huge performance loss. The change from 1.6 to 1.7 was one. To get those things ironed out needs time. They improved along -> 1.8 -> 1.9. Specially, during the long reign of 1.9 it got very efficient.

The whole thing started again with the move to 2.0. As Sam mentioned, 2.0 was "beta". I don't know first hand how the performance story really continued. My guess is that, at the present rate of new major releases, one in every 6 months, there is simply no time for optimazation. Sam mentioned a slight improvement going from 2.2 to 2.3. Go through the discussions in this forum yourself.

If the history repeats itself, there should be another blow around 2.3 or 2.4.

3. Since you are already in 2.0 you have no choice other than moving to 2.2. 2.0 and 2.1 are already discontinued (ironically 1.9 not). The prescribed path to 2.3 goes over 2.2.

But all these "statistical" discussions are of no use to an individual. You are concerned about one Moodle installation, that of yours. Only you can find the answer by testing the future installation. There are lot of information in the performance documentation linked in the introduction to this forum.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Humanage SRL -

Thx Visvanath !

my 90K users are employee so active users (minimum 10 courses per year) and in critical situation 6,5K concurrent users. With our actual HW architecture and Moodle Version the performance it's superlative but before to move in Moodle 2.3 I want to understand if necessary change HW Architecture to maintain the same performance.

In reply to Humanage SRL

by shrikant gakhare -

Hi Humanage SRL,

The number of users and concurrent users you mentioned are similar to like ours. And you also said that performance is superlative. Pls post here hardware architecture and configuration for our guidance.

Shrikant

In reply to shrikant gakhare

by Humanage SRL -

Architecture

• Client (90K) Internet Explorer
  • Server Front End (6) Apache - 8Gb RAM, Quad Core
  • Application Server (10) Apache PHP - 8Gb RAM, Quad Core
  • DB Server (4) Oracle - 32Gb, Quad Core

Levels:

Internet Explorer v 8

Linux Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 64bit

Apache Application Server v 2.2.3

PHP v 5.3.3

Oracle v 10.2.0.5

In reply to Humanage SRL

Odg: Re: Moving from V2.0.x to 2.3.2

by Tom T -
Hi Humanage, what is your pageload speed for users on your last and latest setup? Did your upgrade made some changes on performance? Our page load is 1-2 seconds and that must be reduced. smile