How do assessment grades work?

How do assessment grades work?

by Chris Wheatland -
Number of replies: 2

I've been using the Workshop module for a half term now and I'm incredibly confused about how it assigns assessment grades to the pupils.

For example:

I've assessed a student's submission and assigned my own assessment a weight of 16 so it gets chosen as the best, which it does and I am awarded full marks (50 in this case). 6 other students have also assessed the piece of work. I would expect any student who gave it the same mark as me to score 50, with the marks decreasing the further from my assessment score they went. This does not happen.

The list of marks looks like this:

21(50)@16 - me
26(24) - student 1
27(46) - student 2
21(46) - student 3
21(50) - student 4
29(40) - student 5
24(49) - student 6

The Workshop Module awarded this piece of work 22.

Students 2 and 3 both awarded 21, but got different assessment scores.
Student 2 gave a very different mark compared to all the others and got the second best mark. There seems to be no pattern at all; what on Earth is going on here?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Wheatland

Re: How do assessment grades work?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The fact that two assessments led to the same grade does not necessarily mean they were similar to each other. Therefore the evaluation plugin compares individual criteria rather than the final grade. See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=153268#p670406 for more details.

Also note that it is actually student 4 who got the full mark as well - I would expect that their assessment is the same as yours and therefore they get 50 too. Then student 6 will have a slightly different one, still giving them 49. And so on.

Look at the assessment by student 1 in more details. You should realize that even their assessment led to the grade 26 (compared to the grade 21 based on your assessment), it will be probably very different from yours when it comes to comparing individual aspects (dimensions) of the submission.

Please keep us informed about your analysis.

In reply to David Mudrák

Re: How do assessment grades work?

by Chris Wheatland -

I had a look at how the students had assigned the grades and you were absolutely right. Those who gave the marks in the same areas that I did were given the same grade as me, and those who assigned the marks differently were given lower grades. I understand it now, thanks for your help.