how to link to local file repository

how to link to local file repository

by Doug Bott -
Number of replies: 6

Maybe I am thinking of this the wrong way. But what I'd like to do is use the URL resource to point to files inside a moddle local files repository. Is there a way to do this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Bott

Re: how to link to local file repository

by Frédéric Massart ⭐ -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Doug,

could you describe a bit more the reason why you would like to use a URL resource? The current solution that I can think of would be to use the File resource. Within the File resource settings you can choose the way you want the file to be displayed, you can for example force the file to be downloaded, or opened in a popup.

The only difference I can think of for now is the icon which is displayed on the course page next to the resource. In the case of a File it will use an icon associated with the type of file linked. A URL resource has its own icon.

Fred

In reply to Frédéric Massart ⭐

by Doug Bott -

I have my entire course done in html and id like to keep it that way. i want to find a way to link to these html files. they are not downloads like pdfs or powerpoints. they are the course contents. I experimented with linking to an external file (on another server) this way and it works beautifully, except content is now open and insecure. Then I discovered repositories and thought this would be a way to keep my content as it is but link to it from moodle. 

In reply to Doug Bott

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

These are called mini-sites in Moodle. You could just upload them in Moodle 1.9. I haven't checked Moodle 2.x. This discussion has more information: "Docbook or/and dita on moodle" http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=211283.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sam Mudle -

One problem with Moodle 2.x and the File Module is that you must upload the site as one big zip file.  Moodle has a limit on how much it can extract so your sites must be smallish.

In reply to Doug Bott

by Doug Bott -

Thank you Frederic, Visvanath and Mary.