MB v Mb

MB v Mb

by Martín Langhoff -
Number of replies: 5
using display_size() I realized that our (giga|mega|kilo)byte strings have a _lowercase_ 'b' in lang/en/moodle.php

$string['sizegb'] = 'Gb';
  $string['sizekb'] = 'Kb';
  $string['sizemb'] = 'Mb';

Is this by design? Or should I just fix it to the conventional GB, KB and MB? 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martín Langhoff

Re: MB v Mb

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dunno how that got in! Yes, fix it please!

Or do we follow the IEC and use the supposedly-official-but-not-widely-used KiB, MiB, GiB .... mixed

Nah, they look funny! tongueout
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Teemu Sumi -
I have always thought it goes like this:

k = kilo (lowercase)
M = mega
G = giga
B = byte
b = bit
K = Kelvin (UPPERCASE) 0 Celsius = 273.15 Kelvin big grin

Is that Mi = miga  ??? big grin
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Lowercase k is 1000, but a KB is 1024 bytes. That's why they came up with KiB etc, but not many people seem to understand that and it just causes more confusion.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Teemu Sumi -
I didn't know that. MB is probably 1024*1024 bytes and GB 1024*1024*1024 bytes. But  M is also 1000000 and G is also 1000000000 to mess things up.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Vu Hung -

Hi,

In networking we use kb (e.g dial-up modem 56kb/s) and k is equal to 1000. In storage capacity (e.g hard-drive) we use KB  and K is equal to 1024.