Gradebook

Gordon McLeod
Remove gradebook & grading completely

Hello, I've been instructed to remove the gradebook from Moodle for our institution. This isn't just to hide the gradebook from students, but to remove it so that staff cannot use Moodle to grade work, as our student records system is to be the sole repository of any grading information. I have a few concerns about this, but will limit myself to a specific question: If I disable the gradebook (possibly just through hacking role permissions, rather than attempting the near impossible task of removing it from the integrated tools) - what will the knock on effect be? Will staff be unable to use the assignment and quiz tools, for example? We're on version 2.3 Thanks, Gordon.
Picture of Bob Puffer
Re: Remove gradebook & grading completely
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'd look more at hacking the course administration block and taking the grades link completely out.  I don't know how anyone would get to the grades without that link.  This doesn't disable grading of assignments or quizzes but they won't show in a gradebook that doesn't show.

Gordon McLeod

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. Problem is it's not just the student being able to see grades or the gradebook that's the issue. I've been told our staff must not use moodle to mark student work - and therefore staff shouldn't see any options for applying a grading criteria either.

Picture of Emma Richardson

Can't you do that with permissions?  Just remove the gradebook view/edit permisssions from students and teachers...?

Picture of jun xie
回复: Re: Remove gradebook & grading completely

Thank you. But I don't know how to do that. Please tell me with a photo. My version is 2.3. Thanks again!

Re: 回复: Re: Remove gradebook & grading completely

Settings/Site Administration/Users/Permissions/Define Roles

Select the appropriate roles to edit.  Search for all permissions to do with grades.

Set permission to Not Allow.  Check and see how it affects the role you are playing with.  I am not sure how it will affect adding assignments if they have no access to grades...

Gordon McLeod

Hi Emma,

That's what I'm going to try. What I'm not sure is how it might impact on activities across Moodle (eg what happens if students submit an assignment that the tutor can't grade within Moodle - can the tutor still see the work) - and if activities display a default grade method in the activity settings will tutors will be able to see that but not access?

Thanks, Gordon.

Gordon McLeod

OK - I've tried this on test server. Copied teacher role and edited permissions to prevent all activities related to grading (using filter 'grad').

Result - when the 'non grading' teacher creates an assignment they can see and specify grading criteria in activity settings (which I've been told to remove or set to 'no grade' as only option), but when they click to view submitted assignments they get the screenshot attached (a blank page after description of assignment).

Enabling the 'grade assignment' option restores full functionality. I've trawled through the unfiltered permissions list to see if there are other options that can be modified - but found nothing else relevant. I suspect that permissions aren't granular enough to address this issue (though can't say I'm surprised).

What if you just disable access to the reports - then it wouldn't matter if grades were assigned, no-one could see them..

Gordon McLeod

Hi,

Had some institutional progress on this - staff are allowed to use grading but it can't be visible to students until ratified by exam board. Next challenge is the technical one...

I've tried setting student role permissions to prevent "view scales", "view own grades", "view the overview report" and "view your own grade report" - but in the feedback for assignments the grade is still displayed - see attached image.

What I'd want to do is remove the line in the feedback that includes the grade but leave the actual written or file-based feedback. Can anyone suggest if there's something else in the permissions that can be changed to achieve this - or if I'll need to hack the code to strip this out (and if so where)?

Thanks, Gordon.

Picture of Michael O'Brien

I think if you change the visibility (the eye icon) for each item in the Category and Items tab of the grade book you should be able to hide the grade from students.

Gordon McLeod

Sorry - tried changing visibility of the grade category but it didn't work. I added the assignments to a new grade category and set that to hidden - it had no effect on the display for students. I then tried setting the assignment to hidden in the gradebook and it hid everything including the feedback.

I found a workaround by adding display:none code to my theme - but it removed the information about who graded the item as well as the grade, and also hides any rubric marks completely (which would mean rubrics can't be used to give feedback). I've raised a tracker issue about this as it would work as a solution if the gradingtable items were defined separately rather than lumped together with the same cell variables. Tracker item and the workaround - MDL-36995

Regards, Gordon.