sMARTH SVG equation editor

sMARTH SVG equation editor

by Michael Penney -
Number of replies: 2

anyone tried this yet? Could it form the basis for a moodle equation editor (I know, I know tex is better, but I keep getting "What, no equation editor???)"

http://smarth.sourceforge.net/

Seems to require IE, or at least doesn't seem to like NS 7.2 on XP?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Penney

Re: sMARTH SVG equation editor

by Catalin Hritcu -
Hello to you,

> Seems to require IE, or at least doesn't seem to like NS 7.2 on XP?

sMArTH does not require anything other than a fully conformant SVG viewer and a Unicode Font. At this time it works best with Adobe SVG Viewer and this viewer works best with IE, but there are hacks to make it work with other browsers too.

On the other hand web browser support for SVG is getting better with Opera 8.0 and the upcoming Firefox 1.1. This may not be enough to run sMArTH yet but things will surely evolve. Also the Renesis SVG 1.2 Rendering Engine will be available this autumn for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape, Internet Explorer and Opera.

The sMArTH developer team is planning to rewrite sMArTH from scratch this summer using a new SVG widget platform (SvgUP) and with the goal to make it more modular, customizable and extensible. We also have the intention to make sMArTH easily embeddable into larger web applications like moodle. Would you be interested in collaborating with us?

Kind Regards,
Catalin Hritcu
sMArTH Team

In reply to Michael Penney

Re: sMARTH SVG equation editor

by John Isner -
Hi Michael,
Has there been any further investigation of smarth (http://smarth.sourceforge.net) since your original post?

I realize that the long-term goal is to have an equation editor cleanly integrated with Moodle. But to paraphrase your remark from 2005, "What, 2007 and STILL no equation editor?"

As an interim solution, Smarth could be integrated with Moodle in a very loose fashion, relying on smarth's ability to output LaTeX. The student would do the work in smarth, then copy the LaTeX from smarth and paste it into a Moodle text box (in a quiz or online assignment). It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing! See this discussion.