Auto-enrolment in groups

Auto-enrolment in groups

by Luís Rocha Graça -
Number of replies: 11

Hi there,

I'm having hard times in getting students to auto-enroll in a particular course and group. I created a students group in one course and set an enrolment key in the course auto-enrolment area. I also set in the group settings the same enrolment key for the students group. The students easily access the course but still I can't have them to be enrolled in their group. Any thoughts that can help?

Many thanks,

Luís

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luís Rocha Graça

Re: Auto-enrolment in groups

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The key for the course should be different from the key for the group;otherwise they can enrol but won't be in a group.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Luís Rocha Graça -

So, the students need to insert two different keys? Isn't there another way?

by Luís Rocha Graça -

I tried different keys for enrol the course and the group and it didn't work. It enrols in the course but not in the group. (I have more than one group set, and all of these have no enroll key. Does this matter?)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The students only need to insert one key - their group enrolment key. See section 2 here http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/enrolment_key

Make sure your course is set to groups in the course settings as well. If you have got other groups and you have added the students to those groups manually, that will be fine - but in order for them to go into their groups when they enrol they all need a different enrolment key.

And if they have got in without using the group enrolment key, you will need to unenrol them in order for them to go in again in their groupssmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Luís Rocha Graça -

Hello Mary,

Many thanks for your reply. I tried to do everu single step in the enrolment key process and still have no solution. It enrols the students in the course but it  just don't enrol them to the groups. I don't know anymore what to do. I can only enrol them manually. These are the settings I am using in the course settings

by Mary Cooch -

What version of Moodle are you using?  I could take a look if you could private message me a login.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Hello again. You messaged me with log in details and I took a look and am posting my findings here.

1. You had correctly set up a course enrolment key and said group enrolment keys were required too
  2. The course was set up for groups
  3. However - out of the 13 or so groups created, only one had an enrolment key and it was the same key as the course enrolment key so anyone enrolling with that would not be in a group
  4. The other groups had no key.
  5. I added a simple key to one group -"mary" as here
  6. I then made a test student account and logged in with that account
  7. I navigated to the course in question and when the enrolment key box came up, I typed in "mary" which was the group enrolment key
  8. I was immediately enrolled in the course in the group M10 as expected.
  9. So your course works fine -you just need to add a different key for each group and tell the groups the keys.
  10. And please now delete my test user and change the enrolment key smile 
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Luís Rocha Graça -

Hello again Mary,

Many thanks for your help. It really worked out. The problem was that the enrolment key for the course was the same as the one of students group. Now I know.

Many thanks again for your time and help.

Cheers

Luís

by Pascal Maury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I'm developing a plugin to allow auto-enrolment in groups, I mean without key : when the student is enrolled in the course, he is enrolled randomly in a group, if at least one group exists (in the course) and if he is not already enrolled in a group.

This part of the plugin is ready (based on the trigger 'user_enrolled'). I want to improve it by adding :
- activation (or not) of this behavior, course by course
- checking of the number of students in every group to keep balanced groups (or not)
- specify a prefix to limit auto-enrolment to certain groups (with the prefix in the name)

But, first of all, I am surprised that this plugin does not already exist. But maybe I did not find it !

And, do you think this plugin can be useful ?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paul Raper -

Dear Mary,

Thank you for that clarification, I have had the same Dilemma. By the way, when one sets up self Registration, you are confronted by Moodle telling you that you Need a course key as well as Group key if you state that you want to work with Groups. I feel that this confuses a lot of course developers/teachers because they feel they have to give the course key first expecting Moodle to then know it has Groups, and asking the Student to then enter a Group key.

What you are saying is that the Student only Need enter the Group key, and this will byepass the course key.

I'm sorry if this is complicating matters, but it may be that Moodle is making matters unnecessarily complicated.

Paul

In reply to Paul Raper

by Mary Cooch -

Yes -the course key is to keep other people out. Your students only need to enter the group key. If they enter the course key instead then they will be enrolled in the course, but not in a group.