Bug? Import vs Backup/Restore - questions in course category context

Bug? Import vs Backup/Restore - questions in course category context

by Elena Ivanova -
Number of replies: 3

Hi there smile
Could not find anything on this, but may be I was using incorrect search terms.

Moodle 2.2.3, 2.2.5, 2.3.2
 - Course #1  has materials (any resources or activities) and quizzes. Questions for quizzes are stored in the context of Course Category #1
 -  Course #2 is located in Course Category #2

If you try to Import content  from  course 1 to course 2 via Course Administration > Import link, then nothing will get transferred. You will be presented with "Import complete. Click continue to return to the course."
But course 2 would be empty, even other materials would not be transferred.

One has to exclude quizzes during Import - only then the rest of the materials can be imported. 

If, however, you will Backup Course 1 and Restore to the Course Category 2, then it will work OK. You will get the usual  message "The questions category "Some Title", originally at system/course category context in backup file, will be created at course context by restore".

I believe that Import should be behaving as Backup/Restore here, but it does not seem to be that way. Or at least it should not prevent users from importing other materials. 

Is this a bug?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: Bug? Import vs Backup/Restore - questions in course category context

by Rob Johnson -

I had a teacher report this just last week.  We have a staff repository course that any Earth science teacher can import quizzes from.  The repository course is in a "Staff" category, and the teachers' courses are under "High School." In the past (Moodle 2.1+) teacher could import without problem.  Now, (Moodle 2.3.2), the import acts as you describe.

I moved the repository to the same category as the target courses, but the teacher has not reported back.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Elena Ivanova -

So, it was OK in 2.1?
OK, it does sound like a new bug then. Thank you for a confirmation! I can report to the tracker then.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Rob Johnson -

I spoke to the teacher tonight, and she confirmed import between the two courses worked last year (Moodle 2.1)).  She has not tried again with 2.3.2 since I moved the course into the same category.  I will report back when she does.