Windows server: Slow Response Times

Windows server: Slow Response Times

by Gerrit Anderson -
Number of replies: 4

I have Moodle 2.3 installed on my 2008 R2 Standard server.  It has a quad core, 4.2 GHz cpu, with 8 GB of DDR3 ram.  For some reason, even locally, my server is running very slow from page to page..  Any suggestions?

PHP 5.3.17

and most recent MySQL edition.  Also phpmyadmin is installed.

Also, just wanted to add that there is only one user, no courses yet, and it was a fresh install.  Nothing else is running on the server besides the above, and I have tried restarting IIS, and the entire server.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerrit Anderson

Re: Windows server: Slow Response Times

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Sorry, I can not give you specific hints. But I can remember some discussions in the "Hardware and Performance" forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596. Some concentrated on the system software, like replacing XAMPP with Microsoft TDS or going to PHP 5.4, etc. And there were some client side issues too, mainly with IE 8. Either go through recent discussions or make use of the 'Advanced search facility' mentioned in the introduction to that forum.

Moodle 2.3 has a notorius performance record. That shouldn't mean that a quad core with 8 GB RAM should sag when a single user enters! BTW, does your test user have admin rights?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Gerrit Anderson -
Thanks for the response! I certainly will search for what you are talking about here. Also, IE 9 is on my system, not 8, but there could still be an issue there... And yes, my user does have admin rights, so Im a little confused on why it is running so slow... Also, I am running it on IIS 7, without XAMPP, so that cant really have an effect... I put a virtual machine with ubuntu on my server, and installed everything, and moodle 2.3 flys with only 2GB ram and 1 core allocated to it, so it isnt hardware...lol
In reply to Gerrit Anderson

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Try with an account which does not have admin rights.

The Ubuntu story was a nice surprise. I did not want to advertise for Linux in a
Windows forum. Since we are at it, this is my recipe http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Installing_Moodle_on_Debian_based_distributions.

One question: If Ubuntu flies, why don't you let it fly?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Gerrit Anderson -

An account without admin rights still runs just as slow...

I reinstalled my entire system, and put PHP 5.3.13 on it...  Still no luck.  Also, my CPU usage jumps to arount 40 % when logging in... That doesnt seem right either...

Also, I need to get this working on Windows, because Linux doesnt support my wireless drivers...  even though its running through ethernet, I would like to have wireless ability in the future.