Sending a glossary term back to a student to edit

Sending a glossary term back to a student to edit

by Mark Bryant -
Number of replies: 9

I don't know if this had been discussed here or not.  I browsed and searched but did not see anything come up

It would be great that in the process of approving entries, that a teacher could supply feedback to a student about an entry and ask them to tighten up/fix/change the definition.  The options now are to, approve, delete OR the teacher can edit.  From the pedagogical point of view it would be great for a teacher to guide the student to the correct definition of the concept instead of just outright rejecting it or editing it his or herself.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Bryant

Re: Sending a glossary term back to a student to edit

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Mark,

That's a good idea, but... it would require some development. In the meantime, whilst an entry created by a student is waiting for approval, the teacher can view it. If the teacher is not satisfied with the current definition, they can always contact the student (via the Moodle messaging system or by email) and suggest changes. Then, the student can Edit their entry, and finally the teacher can approve it.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mark Bryant -

Yes.  It would require development.  It would steamline the workflow that you proposed via messaging and e-mail.  As development on moodle is always happening, I think this should be put in the hopper for consideration.  How is that done?

In reply to Mark Bryant

by Itamar Tzadok -

So something like a simple predefined approval workflow with 4 states, work in progress <-> approval request -> apporved/rejected, and a dialogue box visible only to entry owner and teacher for exchanging comments, and notifications upon state change. An excellent idea. I'll try to implement it this weekend (but not in the glossary module). smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Mark Bryant -

Yes, exactly.  I thinkit would make the glossary that much more useful as a teaching tool.

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Itamar "I'll try to implement it this weekend (but not in the glossary module)."

I expect this means you'll try to implement this workflow in the Database activity (your favorite module)?wink

Joseph

In reply to Mark Bryant

by Joseph Rézeau -

One way to do this "teacher feedback" on student entries waiting for approval would be to use the "Comments" feature. Whilst an entry is waiting for approval, Teacher and Student could use Comments to exchange messages in order to refine, etc. the entry. Those comments would only be viewable by teacher and student who has submitted the entry.

Unfortunately, there are 2 problems with this solution:

1. the "Allow comments on entries" setting must be turned ON for all the glossary entries, which may not be desired;
  2. all Comments entered by teacher or student during the "waiting for approval" phase would become visible by all students once the entry is approved. Again this may be desired ... or not!

Joseph

EDIT.- I have created an "improvement" report in the tracker, and provide a simple patch to offer the solution in paragraph 1 and solve both #1 and #2 problems. This is MDL-36041 for which you may vote.

In reply to Mark Bryant

by Edwinna Lucyk -

The functionality you mention did exist in version 1.9 as shown in the screenshot below.  The teacher could click the callout box icon  and leave a comment for the student that only the student could see.  I cannot replicate that in version 2.3.4 even though the activity is set to allow comments. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

Glossary w Comment Ability v19