Aardvark Penguin - default background not showing

Aardvark Penguin - default background not showing

by Deborah Orton -
Number of replies: 14

HI all.  Have just installed Moodle 2.3.2 daily build and the latest download of Aardvark Penguin (love it!).  I have php 5.3 on web host.

I have not been able to get the default blue background to show.  The theme settings are set for fixed width and I have not changed anything on either the install or the theme.  I just do not get the default background showing up.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? My site is www. theophilusU.org.

Thanks

Deborah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Orton

Re: Aardvark Penguin - default background not showing

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If the theme is set to Fluid Width then you cannot see the background.

To see any of the background you need to set it to Fixed Width.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Deborah Orton -

Thanks Mary, but the theme is set for fixed width.  I also checked and the background image is in the proper file folder and the path was never changed from the default and so I do not understand why it would not be showing.

I had the same problem when I downloaded the theme to use on a site I was developing on my own computer.  Same settings - fixed width/background set for the default, no changes from what the theme and moodle 2.3 came set up with.

I'm stumped (but that isn't too hard to do either when it comes to moodle innards). wide eyes

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'll test it out and see if I can find a reason for it not working for you..

by Mary Evans -

http://theophilusu.org/theme/aardvark/pix/graphics/default.jpg

gives a ... 403 Permission Denied so it looks like you have the incorrect permissions set for images on your server.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Deborah Orton -

Hi Mary, thanks for looking into the problem for me.  I checked out the 403 issue, changed permissions to 755, cleared cache and still no joy.  I believe the 403 error you got is due to a hotlink restriction on my site preventing direct linking to the image.  All the other images on the site have the same hotlink restriction in place, yet they all work.

As best as I can figure out, it seems to me that some other parameter is overriding the call for the background, or perhaps some issue regarding fluid/fixed width is hiding the background somehow. It occurs to me that when I first dowloaded Aardvark Penguin to a localhost development environment, I had some difficulties in the theme switching from fluid to fixed width (it stayed in fluid mode and the background never did show up there either), but the difficulty of widths cleared up when I downloaded an updated version of the theme.

Am going through the style sheet to see if I can find anything.  Don't know if that is the best place to start, but I understand style sheets better than I do php.

Thanks,

Debbie

by Deborah Orton -

Update:  I just went through the core.css style sheet and I could not find a div or any mention or call for the default blue page background, either as an image or as a setting:_________.

Could someone verify if this is in fact the case and if so, could someone tell me what the appropriate code would be for it and where to insert it?  I understand some css basics, but not how to do the css for settings indicated elsewhere.

Thanks,

Debbie

by Mary Evans -

The CSS is in aardvark/style/core.css right at the top of the stylesheet...

If you have added a link to a new image in the aardvark custom settings page, then the default will not show up.

html,body {
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif !important;
background:[ [setting:backcolor] ] url([ [setting:backimage] ]) center top [ [setting:backposition] ] !important;
color:#333;
margin:0;
padding:0;
}
In reply to Mary Evans

by Deborah Orton -

Thanks Mary, I saw that shortly after I had posted but wasn't able to get back to it till now.

What I don't understand is that I did a complete new install of Moodle 2.3 via FTP because I heard that sometimes the script installations do not work as they ought.  Everything is fine as far as that goes, to the best of my knowledge.  I installed Aardvark Penguin as the latest download for Moodle 2.3.  I also installed it via FTP to my site.  I did not change any of the default settingsin either Moodle or the theme, yet I cannot get the background image to display.

I tried copying the default.jpg image to another file and using the settings to link to the long form image location (i.e. http: www.theophilusu.org/my-imges/default.jpg) cleared the cache and still no joy.  (I put the space in the link deliberately so it wouldn't show up as a link in this post).  I also tried the short form version (my-images/default.jpg) and it didn't work either.

I don't know what it is I am not seeing.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Debbie

by Mary Evans -

Try adding the URL for the image into the URL address bar of your browser. If the image is there and you can see it, then you know the address is correct, if you cannot see if then the URL is wrong or the image isn't there. This is where it should be according to your earlier post. the www is NOT allowed on your website.

http://theophilusu.org/my-images/default.jpg

In reply to Mary Evans

Resolved: Aardvark Penguin - default background not showing

by Deborah Orton -

Hi Mary, Miriam

Issue is resolved, however I do not know how it has been resolved.  I went to my site and enabled direct requests to images by URL as a parameter in my hotlink protection settings.  This enabled the image to show, however it defeated the purpose of my having hotlink protection on my website, which was to disable other websites ability to link directly to the images on my site and thereby using my bandwidth for their own purposes.

Now, having understood something more of the problem with the access denied that you were talking about, I disabled the direct request to images again, thinking to modify the css somehow to circumvent the problem and keep my hotlink protection intact.

However, after resetting the hotlink protection, clearing the caches in my browser as well as the theme cache, the problem now seems to have resolved itself, and my background image now shows as it ought to do without any modifications required.

So I have my background image and my hotlink protection and all appears to be well.  Don't know how, or why, but its fixed itself somehow.

Thanks for your input.

Debbie

Re: Resolved: Aardvark Penguin - default background not showing

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hmmm interesting. I have no idea why it would have done that, but hopefully it doesn't break again. Have you tried looking at the site from another computer that has never visited the site, just to make sure there's nothing cached somewhere on your machine that's allowing the image to show?

by Mary Evans -

It's probably more to do with the order of things. By disabeling the protection your images were abel to be cached by Moodle, which is all that is needed.  The fact you enabled the protection after this, should not affect the cached images, so all is well.

smile

Problem solved!

Hurray!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Picture of Plugin developers

But if the "purge all caches" button is pressed, does that mean the image link will be lost again?

In reply to Miriam Laidlaw

by Mary Evans -

Shhhhh...we don't wont go there! LOL