Quiz Submission states - Autosubmit with no timelimit?

Quiz Submission states - Autosubmit with no timelimit?

by Christopher Murad -
Number of replies: 12

Hello,

I am running into an issue with a quiz where users that enetered an quiz with 1 attempt and no timelimit, the students did not submit the attempt but the attempt was then locked in a "never submitted" state and they could not continue the attempt.

I manually switched the users in the database to "inprogress" so they could continue the attempt

We have no idea as to why those attempts were switched to a never submitted state as there was no timelimit / and the date limits did not hit.

Thats Part1 - for Part2 

After I manually switched them in the database I think someone else switched the setting to "Open Attempts are submitted automatically"

Again for those that had a attempt - it ended submitting the attempt.

I have a feeling that the sumbitting was due to that setting but per the course developer that setting shouldn't have an effect since there was no time limit on the quiz - I think that the cron picked up the open attempts and submitted them.

So if I could have assistance as to 1) Why were those switched to the "Never Submitted" State for those that started an attempt and never submitted and they were not allowed to continue the attempt?

And  2) - What does moodle do with the setting "Open attempts are submitted automatically" if there is no time limit on the quiz

This is  2.3.1+ (Build: 20120823)

TIA

Chris 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christopher Murad

Re: Quiz Submission states - Autosubmit with no timelimit?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

2) If there is no time limit and no close date, then the "Open attempts are submitted automatically" setting is ignored.

1) It was probably a bug that caused those attempts to be closed. Some bugs have been found and fixed in that area recently.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Christopher Murad -

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, we will be planning the upgrade.

Thanks

Chris

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Kupfer -

I'm using Moodle 2.3.3 (Build: 20121112) and I find that the submit open attempts automatically is not working with a closing date. I end up with quizzes that are in progress and then don't show up in the report when Show Highest Graded is selected because it technically doesn't have a grade since it wasn't submitted. Is there another setting somewhere I have to set?

PK

In reply to Peter Kupfer

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Tim might correct me but I believe that setting is only for time limits and not for end dates.  I am not seeing a way to have quizzes automatically submit if they are not completed by the end date.

However, this would be a great feature so maybe we could add a tracker request?

In reply to Peter Kupfer

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There was a bug in the autosubmit code (MDL-35717) that did not get fixed until Moodle 2.3.4 / 2.4. The problem was my fault, and you can thank Matt Petro from University of Wisconsin for fixing it.

Anyway, you need to upgrade to 2.3.4 or later.

Emma, this feature works based on close date or time limit. Indeed, if you have a custom Quiz Access Rule plugin, you could make it depend on phase of the moon, or anything else you like. Basically, if there are several conditions, it works out which one will cause time to expire first, and that is the deadline used.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Harald Schnurbusch -

We tried that in two different Moodle installations to check it and it didn't work. We used 2.3.4 on MySQL and on MSSQL. We created a test with closing date and time limit and a test only with closing date.

In neither of the four cases the test was closed. It remains in the status "in progress".

The attempts only close if the student is still on the system doing the test when the time expires. Then all the attempts are closed automatically. But that's not what the new feature should do. Moodle already did that before.

The attempts are also closed if the student tries to open the test once more after the time has expired. But that's no automatic closing.

What could be the reason? Do we have to activate something in Moodle on part of the admin before running the tests?

In reply to Harald Schnurbusch

by Tim Hunt -

Is cron running on your server?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Harald Schnurbusch -

Hi Tim,

thanks for the hint to cron. As we use a Windows environment we need a script to run cron. That script was missing. It's working now.

Cheers,

Harald

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Vicke Denniston -
Picture of Testers

I have something similar, and since you are willing to take credit ;) I'll start here.

I am using 2.3.3 on a hosted system, so no updating or database access. An instructor created a quiz with 1 attempt, 2 hour time limit and a grace period after the time limit where the quiz can be submitted but no more questions can be answered. The original assistance changed the grace period and end date, with no luck. I was called in, allowed multiple attempts, removed the password and the time limit, logged in as the student and there is no submit button. Is there anyway we can force submit so that the instructor does not have to manually grade?

At the moment there is only one test for one student in one class, but if it's happened once, it's going to happen again.

Wasn't there a button that could force submission in 1.9x? We need that back.

In reply to Vicke Denniston

by Tim Hunt -

If you host won't upgrade you from form 2.3.3, which was released 6 months age, then you should be re-considering your choice of host. There have been 3 stable releases since hten, and 2.3.7 is coming out in a few weeks.

There was not a force submit button for teachers in 1.9. There never has been.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Vicke Denniston -
Picture of Testers

Thanks, I'll check with our hosting company, unfortunately we are stuck for at least 2 more years.

I have worked with too many systems over the past several years. Someone has a force submit for admins.

In reply to Vicke Denniston

by Tim Hunt -

Well, someone may have created that in the past, but if they did, they did not share it with the community.