"Update" button not working on grader report

"Update" button not working on grader report

by jared beck -
Number of replies: 10

We have been unable to get the "update" button on the grader report to function.  I have tried several different browsers, user levels (including admin) but the best we have been able to accomplish is one instance where it actually allowed a grade to be entered using the update button.  Every other attempt results in the entries not being registered and appearing blank as they were prior to attempting to enter grades.  It's almost as if the "update" button is only refreshing the page and not validating the data entered. Any help would be gladly appreciated.  Thank you!

In reply to jared beck

Re: "Update" button not working on grader report

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Are all the entry boxes shaded yellow?  There is a bug that is causing all grades to become overridden and then you cannot update them without clearing the overridden status.

See MDL-34363 

In reply to jared beck

by Paul Nicholls -

This sounds to me like you may be hitting max_input_vars, a (relatively) new PHP setting which limits the number of form fields that it'll process.

Which version of Moodle are you running?  A workaround was included in 2.3 (MDL-26275) which automatically decreases the number of students per page in order to prevent you from hitting max_input_vars, and I've submitted a patch (MDL-35074) which works around max_input_vars without decreasing the number of students shown per page - but that's still awaiting peer review, so it hasn't made it into a Moodle release yet.

In reply to jared beck

by jared beck -

Thanks, no we aren't experiencing the override issue with the update button.  Our build is 2.2.2.  There are only 30 students active in the class, I can't imagine that would be the issue.

In reply to jared beck

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you enter grades through the assignment?  Are there a lot of grade items in the gradebook?  30 students with 20-30 grade items could cause the php issue that was mentioned.  

If you can, just select one group from the grader report and see if you can enter grades for them.  If you can, then it is the php setting.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by jared beck -

Hi Emma,

Thank you for the reply.  I've tried limiting the # of students per page but that hasn't helped.  I also tried creating groups but that also will not work.   I was able to create a group with just one student and the update button did work, but now with a group of 18 students and approximately 40 graded activities per student, it's not working. Could this be a php issue and if so, where do we go from here?

Thanks again!

In reply to jared beck

by jared beck -

Creating groups and then limiting to 5 students per screen seems to have done the trick, although this is cumbersome.  Is there a way to increase the performance of the site to not have to go through these steps for each course?

Thanks again.

In reply to jared beck

by Emma Richardson -

So now that you have figured out the issue, here is the fix.  You need to edit your php.ini file on the server and raise the amount of max_input_vars to a much larger number.  This will fix the issue.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by jared beck -

Thanks, it was the max_input_vars indeed. Tried increasing from 1000 to 1500 but that didn't do it.  Increased to 5000 and now we're not experiencing the problem.   Thanks again.

In reply to jared beck

by Emma Richardson -

Good deal - hopefully the patch mentioned above will be approved soon and this will not be an issue anymore!  Feel free to mark as useful!!

In reply to jared beck

by Bob Puffer -

Most posted issue in the gradebook forum.  Should be bumping to 20k or more.