Gradebook

Wazza
Missing grades in gradebook

I am missing grades in the gradebook after the upgrade from Moodle this summer 1.9 -> 2.2 -> 2.3.2

Notice the user 'Henk' in this picture:

Henk has submitted an assignment and it has been graded 70,0 out of 100,00.

However, if you look at the gradebook of Henk, you will not see the grade nor the feedback:

This has happened after upgrading the assigments from 2.2 to 2.3. How do we get this feedback and grading back in the gradebook?

Does this have to do with this bugtracker:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-34583

Wazza
Re: Missing grades in gradebook

Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? We upgraded to the latest Moodle, but still the grades are misscing in the gradebook.

Picture of Emma Richardson
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Was this graded in the assignment or just in the grader report.  I am wondering if you can go to the assignment and try to resubmit the grades and see if that moves it over to the student report. Seems strange that it is in the grader report and not the student report. Is it the same for every student and every assignment?

Wazza

Yes, this is a bug in Moodle. Please vote for the solution:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-36024

Picture of Rok Lenardic

Is there a solution for Moodle 2.2.1 for this that does not have the Recover old grades feature?

Wazza

Not that I know off.

We are getting kind of desperate here. Check these things out, same student, gradelist of student shows coursetotal of 68,00

Overall gradelist of same student shows coursetotal of 70,37

I have thousants of students with these problems. Moodle reputation is greatly damaged by the massive loss of grades.

Picture of Rok Lenardic

That sucks, we have hundreds students with this problem as well. We even asked the support partner we have contracted and they offered no solution sad

upgrade from 1.9 to 2.2 has been such a disapointment and a complete mistake...

Wazza

Yes, these are the moments that we doubt our decision to choose for open source. I wish I could hold someone accountable for the loss of extremely important data.

All I can do is ask you to vote for my tracker, hope someone with proper knowledge can fix this huge problem.

Picture of Rok Lenardic

Voted!

Picture of Bob Puffer
I've read the tracker and this thread and am still in the dark why this is such a serious issue. I took a major part in the battle to have the setting recovergradesdefault included in Moodle 2.x and I think its pretty stupid that it is off by default but I also think the following: - why would you do a major upgrade of ANY system and not have an instance of the previous system still available in the event of failure? - why are you not able to restore your grades en masse through a query updating the mdl_grade_grades with the most recent corresponding entry from mdl_grade_grades_history? If you're going to sign up for open source you need to take responsibility for it.
Wazza

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I will try to answer your questions, but I also have a question myself. The question is: Why would you want to loose grades when a student unenrols en re-enrols into a course? To me that makes no sense at all.

The answer to your questions are:

1. We have an instance of the previous system still available, but I don't see how this solves our problems. We are not going to let our students work in 2 Moodles, one old and one new.

2. ' why are you not able to restore your grades en masse through a query updating the mdl_grade_grades with the most recent corresponding entry from mdl_grade_grades_history?'

Please tell me how...

3.  If you mean we shouldn't be using open source unless we now how to fix programming flaws, than I disagree with you. In simple terms: we signed up for Moodle because it is good and cheap - and that fits the budget in these times. If we had more money perhaps we would choose differntly or be able to hire programmers, but we are a school and not an IT company.

Furthermore, we do spend money for hosting and upgrading our Moodle by a Moodlepartner. But if there's flaws in the Moodle code, we turn to both our Moodle partner and the community.

I hope I've answered your questions.

Picture of Bob Puffer

Your initial question is precisely the question we posed when this was designed and we got a very long, loud argument about the need to save space which made no sense but if you poke the right buttons in the core development you'll usuallly get an explosion.

1. I think my initial question resulted from what appeared to be a proclamation that valuable data was lost forever.

2. the query should be simple, the fields in grade_grades are almost a mirror in grade_grades_history, you'd just need to get the last posted grade out of history and update or insert grade_grades with its field values.  Your Moodle Partner should be able to write the query for you.

3. I think that's pretty much what I mean though you're certainly welcome to rely on the community.  We're a school too -- I know lots of schools who've adopted the commitment to learn the inner workings of the open source software they have in order to make it work for them.  In fact, that is pretty much how Moodle got built to start with.

Everywhere I go and everything I read tells me how important it is becoming for EVERYBODY to learn how to program -- I would think a school would embrace that eventuality and provide a model for their students.

Wazza

EVERYBODY to learn how to program

Oh dear, I'm finding it a huge challenge already to teach my teachers to use Moodle.

You are seriously considering to teach them how to program Moodle? I would like to invite you to our schools.

Warning: our schools are hugely populated by people who use crayons and pass the day at work thinking '4 more years to retirement...'

Picture of Bob Puffer

I'm not making a joke (just stating a very prominent trend all over the world) and don't pretend that Higher Ed is onboard with this but I don't think I would try to administer an instance of Moodle, expect it to do everything I want it to do unless I, myself started learning how it worked and how I might fix it.

As for crayons, etc. I find it inexcusable when someone chartered with the objective to teach people how to learn refuses to undertake steps to grasp how the single most important tool for gathering information EVERYWHERE in the world (the browser) works.  That is the place to start and with that start your faculty will stop using IE.  Once you get beyond that point you can work on more complicated tasks like, how to use the browser with Moodle to facilitate their teaching and the students learning.

Picture of Steve Kleine

I find it inexcusable when someone chartered with the objective to teach people how to learn refuses to undertake steps to grasp how the single most important tool for gathering information EVERYWHERE in the world (the browser) works.

Welcome to IT. You must be new here. big grin

People simply want their applications to work. They do not care about the back end, how it works, the bugs inherent therein, the code, the process, or much of anything else. Educators are no different in this regard, and it's been my experience they are far worse in this the higher their formal education goes.

Get the idea out of your head that people give a damn, for in that direction madness and heartbreak lie.

Simpsonized Pic

I have to agree with Bob on the part about using IE.  I am amazed how many times I get calls from instructors or students with problems on Moodle only to find out they are using IE and not Firefox.  This occurs even though we have it clearly stated on Moodle site to use Firefox.

Sad fact it there are just as many bugs in CMS's that you pay for so everyone can do their part here and vote.

Here is hoping people realize some things do take long time to fix then others,

BJ

Picture of Bob Puffer

I agree, this HAS been my experience but is no longer consistently my experience because educators IMO are patently polite folk and they have put up with a good deal of my canvassing towards them "understanding" the important tools they use, progressing along a charted line of instruction in how "knowing this or that" about this or that tool will make their life easier and their teaching more effective.  There are of course plenty of exceptions.  

I've been in IT since 1985 when IBM introduced their first PC.

Picture of Emma Richardson

I also work with teachers and understand that they just want things to work. Five years ago, I would agree that they should not have to think about it but in this day and age, I now agree that it is inexcusable for teachers to not take responsibility for learning at least the basics of technology.  It is too integral to our lives to not take the time to get some basic skills.  Their students are fast leaving them behind.

I started with Moodle about four years ago - I am no expert but have taken it upon myself to become familiar with mysql and php so that I can take advice from the community here and make Moodle work in our environment. I work with Open Source and non-Open Source software and hardware and I have to say that I am able to find fixes way faster from the open source community that I can from the vendors that I pay thousands of dollars for for support.