Correct Way to Assign Site-wide Role(s) to New Users | v. 2.3.1

Correct Way to Assign Site-wide Role(s) to New Users | v. 2.3.1

by Francois Evans -
Number of replies: 2

Having read the roles and permissions chapters of the online Moodle documentation, I have to say I find roles, permissions, capabilities and over-rides complicatedly set up. I guess this is necessary to keep Moodle flexible.

However, when I register a new user on the system, on the page where the user's details are put (username, email address, password etc.), it would be great to have a drop-down menu to select what general role admin. wanted that new user to have.

At present, one has to set up the user, and then enter that user's account to allocate roles and permissions separately from the site admin. block. After one's done this, I have found that that does not necessarily guarantee that that user will have the roles and permissions required site-wide.

Am I missing something here?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francois Evans

Re: Correct Way to Assign Site-wide Role(s) to New Users | v. 2.3.1

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It's because they don't really have a "role " other than authenticated user because they could, in theory, be a student in one course, an editing teacher  in another and a category manager in a different faculty..so it wouldn't be helpful to have an "asssign role" box when you upload them.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)