Gradebook

Picture of Rich Brennan
Student Grade Report not showing grades if topic is hidden

Student Grade Report not showing grades if topic is hidden

I am using Moodle 2.3.2 and I am having a problem with students not being able to see their grades once a topic is hidden. Listed are the steps to recreate the problem. I use Topics Format. Problem will manifest itself whether you use Topics or weekly format.

1. As a teacher, create and assignment.
  2. As a student, upload assignment.
  3. As a teacher, grade the assignment.
  4. As a student, click grades, view grade reporter.

1. Individual assignment grades are visible.
  2. As a teacher, go into course, turn editing on, click on the eyeball to hide the entire section.
  3. As a student, click grades, view grade reporter.

1. Individual assignment grades are no longer visible.

Students should be able to see their graded assignments and grades even if the topic has been set to hide.

I can repeat the exact same steps in Moodle 1.9.12 and students can see their grades and assignments. Everything works, as it should.

All grade book settings are set at their default values after a fresh installation. I looked in all of the settings and advanced settings areas and nothing appears out of place.

Has anyone else come across this problem and/or found any solutions or documentation of it being a known issue?

Picture of Darko Grabar
Re: Student Grade Report not showing grades if topic is hidden

Hi, same problem is with individual activities (Moodle 2.3.2+)...If teacher hides asigment in topic and set that it's visible in gradebook students can't see this asigment altough the "aye" is "on"...

Picture of Don Bentley

Yes, and this is also a problem for quizzes.  I think it is quite common for instructors to hide assignments and quizzes after the submission deadline has passed, so students only see what they should be working on in the current week; however, even if the assignment or quiz is hidden and the student can no longer do it, if they have done it, they should be able to see the mark they received, and should be able to see any comments related to the grading of the assignment, and with quizzes they should be able to review the quiz.  This doesn't appear to be possible in v2.3, but was in v1.9, and I would like to see this feature added back in.

Picture of Ali Hastie

This is still the same within 2.3.3+ are there any plans to have this feature back?

Most (if not all) of our teaching staff like to hide their topic areas after the students have completed their assessments with the ability for students  viewing their grades for their attempts at any time.

Cheers,

Ali.

Picture of Susan Fleming

Hello

Solution for the grade book anyway is to go into the Settings tab and change the Overview Report - "Hide totals if they contain hidden items" from the "Default (Hide)" to "Show totals excluding hidden items".   The same change needs made further down the list in the User Report - last item before the Save Changes button.  Once these changes have been made, the students should be able to view the grades even if there is an item in the category which is hidden.

If grades still don't show, check the Course settings to make sure the grade book is visible to students.

Susan

Tayla Craig
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holders

I'm finding that this still appears to be the case in 2.4.4. Even with all setting set as Susan suggests above, within the gradebook and at the site level. I've found a work around, by closing the eye in the full view report, then re-opening it. However, I'd think if all settings are set properly, the grades in the gradebook should stay visible regardless of wether or not they are hidden in the course. Has anyone else stumbled upon a fix or a tracker case on this? 

Picture of Jason Neiffer

I am still having this issue in 2.4.x as well.

There is a Moodle Tracker on the issue here:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-35888#comment-231468

It would help if you helped by voting this up.

This seems like a big oversight to me!

Thanks,
Jason

Picture of Daniel Kaelin

This is a fairly big problem for my Moodle installations as well.

With assignments you can still go in and open the eyeball after you have hidden a topic. The problem we are running into is with quizzes now that they no longer have eyeballs to hide/show the grades in the gradebook, everything depends on the review options.

We have the review options, in the quiz, set to show the grades in the gradebook but once the topic is hidden there is nothing you can do aside from go into the mdl_grade_items database and manually change the hidden field to 0 for the specific grade item. This doesn't scale well and is impractical for non technical / non IT users.

Picture of Toni Soto

I'm having the same weird problem described by all of you but I can make quiz marks visible in gradebook when the quiz is hidden. If I ONLY tick marks in 'after quiz is close' marks are displayed in gradebook although the quiz was hidden. 

Try it. I hope it helps. 

Toni Soto