Web Cam Plugin

Re: Web Cam Plugin

by Matt Bury -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Plugin developers

People might use it to cheat?!! surprise

Perhaps a better idea is to establish policies that make all or most tests "open book." This will more than likely have the added benefit of forcing teachers to change tests so that they focus on the more desirable higher-order and critical thinking skills and what learners understand about the information rather than simply regurgitating it or selecting answers from multiple choice options.

Also, a stronger focus on higher-order and critical thinking skills in tests can lead to better study habits and engagement from learners, a phenomenon known as "washback", i.e. assessments inform learners about what you value and expect and learners will (try to) adjust their study habits accordingly (Many learners will need some help with this initially simply because they may have had educational backgrounds that relied too heavily on information recall rather than critical and higher-order thinking).

I guess the point I'm trying to make is you can't stop cheating - learners will always find a way, one way or another - and cheating is the product of poor assessment and curriculum practices.

Just my €0.02! smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)