Application>registration>enrolment best practices?

Application>registration>enrolment best practices?

by Ken Hawkins -
Number of replies: 0

Hi All

I have been reading posts for hours, and see partial solutions or I have missed something. We are using 1.9 at present, as there were glitches we don't have the time/resources to chase down when we tried the 2.x upgrade last year. If there are tools in 2.x that would be helpful for our goals below, we could probably find the time but are in the camp of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Our institute would like to use the Moodle account request as a utility to gather student application data. I can edit the account request form to gather what is desired, but there is uncertainty over the best use of Moodle for this process.

We want to obtain the contact information, then only activate the account upon acceptance (on average we only accept about 30% of applicants). From there, the accepted students would be enrolled in the course(s).

We would like the flow to be along these lines:

1. Student fills application form, notice sent to registrar upon submission

- I have found places to edit php files so this happens; haven't tested yet. Have also seen posts where folks have re-directed the form elsewhere, then had Moodle use the external D/B for accounts; would prefer to keep in Moodle at this time.

2. Registrar activates account for successful applicant

- What happens with unsuccessful applicant data? IIRC there is a time-out after which the data is purged? If so, how do we manage that timer?

3. All successful applicants enrolled in course(s)

- Is it easier to use cohorts or groups here?

4. We would like to auto-copy or link student contact information into an addressbook in a different application, that also uses MySQL on the backend

- Is there a Moodle control panel for this, or will it require some php hacking?

We do not at present have a true S.I.S. or S.R.S. database for long-term student tracking, so are considering pressing Moodle into this role.

Any input is much appreciated

regards

Ken

Average of ratings: -