Assignment

Picture of Marcus Green
An idea for Pass Merit Distinction Grading
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have not seen a simple way of doing the type of Pass Merit Distinction style grading in Moodle. This is a very common type of grading in UK Vocational Courses where you cannot get a Merit unless you have all Pass criteria and you cannot get a Distinction untill you get all Pass and Merit criteria. You can read about it in an earlier Moodle discussion here

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=189923

I have been playing with a modified version of the Rubric gradng system with modification for this type of grading (which I have called PMD for Pass Merit Distinction). I have made a short animation of how the interface might work.

http://www.examulator.com/images/pmdgrading.swf

Please post a reply here if this idea is of interest.

Marcus

Average of ratings:Useful (4)
Picture of Marcus Green
Re: An idea for Pass Merit Distinction Grading

Here is a screen shot of the grading form.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I am interested in thissmile I am now going to ask a stupid question - what are the numbers for (1,4 etc)?

Picture of Marcus Green

Its the level, the idea is that it is P1, P2, P3, M1, M2, M3 etc etc. It did my head in when I first came accross this style of grading, but in the place I work, despite the emphasis on A levels, far more students are graded on this basis.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Mat Cannings

Hi Marcus,

I was just going to work on exactly the same thing but I think that you have beaten me to it. I have attached the proposal that I was going to work from. For us we tend to create a Moodle course per module/unit so the block that is in that proposal would work for completeness under that scenario.

Picture of Marcus Green

Yes, I have come to the conclusion that a course per module is the way forward. I have sent a message to you offline to discuss further.

Picture of Alicia Wallace

I need this! I need *exactly* this smile If I can help in any way, please just let me know.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Marcus Green

Thanks for the feedback Alicia. What you can see at the moment is just 30 minutes of hacking existing code rather than anything useful. But I am very interested to hear that this is in demand. I think it is a fairly UK specific requirement and I would be interested to hear from anyone in any other parts of the world who require this.

The interface might benefit from a field for entering what the student should actually submit to achieve the criteria.

Then of course there is the business of creating code so you only get the M's if you have all P's etc etc....

Picture of Alicia Wallace

I am in the UK smile However, I'm not a teacher. I can get a bit of feedback from our BTEC lecturers so they can outline exactly what they think they would benefit from, if that would help? We deliver mainly Level 3 Sports, Agriculture and Equine diplomas, but range from Level 1 - 3.

Picture of Evelyn Laurito

I am very sure that this method of grading will be most useful in this part of Asia, the Philippines where we are starting the implementation of OBE in Engineering. smile

Picture of David Fountain

I created a block back in version 1.4 that we used to track progress but it relied on manual grade items, we have moved on so I haven't upgraded it to the latest version of Moodle though.

One of the areas that I considered for this kind of course was that of outcomes rather than grades.

The problem I have is that I want to be able to record where a criteria P1, M2, etc has been successfully demonstrated and it all got too cumbersome to assign all the possible criteria to each assignment.

Ideally I would like to have a multiple-select list box that contains all the criteria so I can just highlight the ones that the assignment has achieved.

In an even more ideal world I would want to be able to go to a student's record and by clicking on one of the criteria have the system show me all of the assignments where it had been successfully demonstrated.

Picture of Martin Matthews

For me the key is what happens after grading.  The flash didn't show that but what is needed is a way for the staff/students to quickly see the status of criteria in the gradebook (in terms of pass, merit and distinction).  This year i am trying to achieve proper treacking but with outcomes and custom scales as shown in the attachment. 

The assignment is marked as usual (fail, refer, complete for us) but there are additional drop downs for any attached outcomes as shown also in the attachment.

One advantage is that the student sees those outcomes in the grading sheet although the order of the criteria is alphabetical not as set up.

One disadvantage is if criteria are not fully met by one Moodle activity.  An example would be the good old "design, create and test" where you might want to assess the design before letting them create.  The one I have come across is using tests to assess knowledge where more than one test is used to cover the whole criteria.  I have coped by splitting the criterion into P2a, P2b etc. but that gets ugly.

I have not used this properly yet as it is still early but it shows promise.  Perhaps a tweaking of this would be preferable to tweaking the rubric approach?  Not a criticism as I have never used the rubric approach so don't know enough to comment.

Picture of Marcus Green

I have been doing some more work on this. Matthew Cannings (see earlier in this thread) developed some code based on the existing Marking Guide and I have done some work on calculating the final grade based on what criteria have been met. It is very early alpha code but you can see an animation of it working here.

http://www.examulator.com/gf/btecgrading.swf

Please let me know what you think

Picture of Zippy Thumim

This would be just what I am looking for... as I grade in those criteria and do my marking with the 'grade' of 'merit' just written as a comment. Can someone let me know if it is currently possible to add this functionality to the assignment module as I could ask my programmer to sort it out

Thanks, Zippy

Picture of Marcus Green

This exact functionality is not available at the moment, which is why Matthew and I have been working on it. It occured to me this morning that my existing code depends on the grade levels actually being Pass, Merit and Distinction, so I will look into stringizeing it (sp) so it will work with the equivalent words in other languages.

Picture of yazie alfy

Hello Marcus,

This is exactly what we need. I was wondering how is the project going? If I can help in any way, please let me know. smile

Picture of Marcus Green

It has slowed recently but it will come alive again in about a week when I am on holiday for a week.....

Currently testing and looking into reporting.

Sylvianne

This is exactly what I'm looking for, we've only just started to introduce Moodle and I want to be able to grade electronically. Watching the progress on this very carefully.

Picture of Marcus Green

The main thing you could do to move it along would be to download a copy of the module from github, install it and see how many different ways you can break it, then let me know what you found out. I was looking at creating a report tonight that would allow you to select the assignment and see a list of students with the criteria as columns indicating what the students had achieved so far. I got as far as a dropdown saying "BTEC report"....

I noticed from your profile you are currently teaching the e-commerce module. Send me a private message on this system if you want to swap Moodle resources for that.

MG

Picture of Marcus Green

I am looking for ideas on how to present a summary of progress/report on the BTEC type assignments.

By this I mean I would expect an easy way to view a summary of progress in the form of a grid as per the attached image, particularly for teachers. It then struck me that this would probably be useful for any any advanced grading method. However I am not sure what it should be based on or where should it go, i.e. what would you expect to click on to get to such a report.  Has anyone got any suggestions?