Gradebook and Conditional Activities

Gradebook and Conditional Activities

by Walt Barlow -
Number of replies: 3

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I can't seem to solve. I'm using Moodle 2.2.2 and have built courses that begin with a pre-assessment. The pre-assessment doesn't factor into student's grade, but does grant the student permission to advance directly to the post-assessment if he/she earns an 80% or higher.

If the student earns a 79% or lower, the first lesson becomes available and she/he advances through the module activity by activity.

I have 2 post-assessments: 1 for students who earn an 80% or higher with that condition set for availability; the other for students who earn a 79% or lower on the pre-assessment, then earn grades on activities, then takes the post-assessment.

Any ideas on how to set the gradebook to accurately report student scores using this design? I hope I've described accurately.

In reply to Walt Barlow

Re: Gradebook and Conditional Activities

by Bob Puffer -

Any ungraded activities should be in a grade category that uses weighted mean of grades as its aggregation method and the weight of these items should be zero.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Walt Barlow -

Thanks! I set up a grade category as you describe and it works in keeping the post-assessment from factoring into the final grade. I also set up another category for Graded Items, with sub-categories for labs and for post-assessment. Since I have 2 versions of the post-assessment, only one of which becomes available to a student based on their pre-assessment score, I set the weight for each to 100% for the post-assessment sub-category. It seems to work, but I'm still testing to be sure.

Now if I could just figure out how to set a maximum score for a rubric higher than 100.

Thanks again!

In reply to Walt Barlow

by Bob Puffer -

We've not moved off from 1.9 yet so I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the rubric grading though Moodle has always had an affection for capping grades at 100 (why would anyone want to have a grade worth more than a hundred? ;-(  After all, aren't points the same as percentage?  -- NOT!!).