Mail Notification of self-registered users.

Mail Notification of self-registered users.

by Jason De Donno -
Number of replies: 18

We have enable self-enrolment to Moodle itself (not the courses) but are missing notification of new users.

It would be nice to get a mail when a new user joins, but we have been unable to find a setting that allows this.

Is it possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason De Donno

Re: Mail Notification of self-registered users.

by Itamar Tzadok -

I've recently written a local plugin that does precisely that. It sends a message to admin via Moodle messages. Haven't got to release it yet. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Derek Chirnside -

What a tantalising post Itamar.

Is there something you are waiting for?  cool  Do you have a timeline for release?

There is a small code insert to send a copy of the registration e-mail to admins (ie a hack) but the page where this has been described has been deleted off  the docs.  http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Administration_hacks#Send_a_duplicate_of_the_registration_email_to_the_administrator

I think it is probably not a good ideas to have a page of hacks anyway.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Itamar Tzadok -

I'm not waiting for anything. The plugin is waiting for me to finalize it and considering the number of plugins I'm already maintaining (https://github.com/itamart) it may take a few more hours. wink

by Jason De Donno -

It would definitely be useful.

In reply to Jason De Donno

by Itamar Tzadok -

I've just pushed to git two plugins that may help with this issue.

moodle-local_messageprovider is a local plugin that is set to send admin a notification on a new self-registration (auth_email) account. The plugin name is somewhat generic b/c it is meant to be extended to provide further customized messages that are not covered by core moodle.

moodle-block_moossenger is an enhancement of the standard messages block that allows for displaying recent notifications/conversation in the block. This may be useful for admins/managers in their My Moode dashboard or even on a course page.

The illustration below shows the two plugins in action. Note in particular the notifications on new self registrations.

The plugins will be uploaded to the plugins repo and documented in the docs soon.

Feedback would be appreciated. smile

by Derek Chirnside -

I'm not wanting to participate in feature creep here Itamar, but I probably inevitably am.

It seems to me in terms of member management there are several related issues, especially if you want to have a few courses in your site that are a little more open - but still provide support for members.

1. Your patch: Admin notification of new self enrolments
  2. Ability to e-mail details when a new account is created manually.  (And there is a discussion somewhere saying how bad this is for security reasons)  This is purely a time saver.
  3. Notification of a self enrolment in a course.  So yoiu can notice people who arrive.
  4. Notification of a FIRST VISIT to a course.  I have had a lot of people visit and not post.  These can easily go missing.  I'm trying to avoid the question "OK, who has visited?" and then "Who has posted?"

The question arises of how to do this.  I'd settle for just an e-mail, but I know this is not the best.  A dashboard setup is best.

There are tradoffs here: I could easily manage if there was a good dashboard on a forum.  "OK, there are 46 I am expecting, who has visited and read my welsome, and who has not posted a reply?"

The aim for us is to easily keep track of comings and goings.  And No shows.

However, this is a great start: I'll see if I can test this your plugins.

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Itamar Tzadok -

2. Easy.

3. Easy.

4. Not so much. But you have the activity participation report which is based on the logs and can show you who viewed/posted in a particular activity.

Dataform-based dashboards in the oven. In fact I've already implemented and used a Dataform-based dashboard in conjunction with my auth_approval plugin. When an account was created an entry with the details was added to the dashboard and I could process it in various ways.  smile

by Sarah Jane -

Hi Itamar

I am very interested in your plugin but I am a little unclear of how this works - am I right in assuming the block will only been seen by admin? Is there anyway this block could be seen my say the course creator or another role sa Manager?

Sarah x

by Sarah Jane -

hi there i have tried to upload this block but the message i see in notifications is

Plugin "block_itamart-moodle-block_moossenger-ecb9b9f" is defective or outdated, can not continue, sorry.

can you help?

sarah

In reply to Sarah Jane

by Sarah Jane -

Found out the problem renamed the file to moossenger and uploaded fine.

although mow my problem is I cant see how this is to work.

Have done a couple of tests but nothing seems to change....

Sarahsad

In reply to Sarah Jane

by Itamar Tzadok -

In the block configuration you can set the number of notifications/conversations to display. See illustration blow. smile

by Janine Johnson -

Hi there,

We are very keen to get some form of notification for new users that have self-enroled and this thread seems to address this, however some simplifiedstep-by-step instructions as to how to download this plug-in would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks

In reply to Janine Johnson

by Diane Villemure -
If by self-enrol you mean that the user creates their own account (re: using email-based registration), you could simply add this line to the /lib/moodlelib.php file (as per: http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Administration_hacks#Send_a_duplicate_of_the_registration_email_to_the_administrator) email_to_user($supportuser, $supportuser, $subject, $message, $messagehtml); This works in version 2 also.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Diane Villemure

by Janine Johnson -

ok thanks, I'm sure I can add that line to something, however, what is and how do I get to /lib/moodlelib.php part? I have no idea :/

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Janine Johnson

by Diane Villemure -

Janine,

You need FTP access to your moodle files on the server. lib is a folder and moodlelib.php is a file in that folder.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Heinz Schmolke -

Unfortunately both plugins not working in 2.4

Has anyone a good solution?

Thanks! 

by Adrian Schnell -
hello, is it possible to modify your extension "message provider" to send auth mails after self enrollment to courses by the users?