General help

Picture of Patrick Coleman
Currently running 1.9 .. how should we upgrade

Hello,

I just "inherited" the job of managing our school districts Moodle Admin resposibilities and see that we are currently running 1.9.

We are obviously several versions behind and would like to get current. Any suggestions on how to go about updating to a much more modern version, specifically successfully migrating all the courses our teachers have built in 1.9 to a newer version?

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Currently running 1.9 .. how should we upgrade
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes, you should upgrade, but you need to think about it for two reasons:

1. As you say, there is the technical matter of upgrading in such a way that you preserve all your data.
  2. 1.9 -> 2.3 is a big jump, and all your users will need to get used to the new interface.

Regarding 2. some options are

• wait until a suitable vacation before doing the upgrade.
  • create a test site, were your teachers can try out the new version of Moodle before they have to use it for real in their teaching (but you can be sure that many will not heed your warnings to look in advance of the migration).
  • produce appropriate training and documentation.

Regarding 1., you basically have two options:

1a. Upgrade your exising Moodle site as explained on Upgrading. You will need to go (current) -> 1.9.19 -> 2.2.5 -> 2.3.2 (or whatever the latest versions are on each branch at the time you do the upgrade). This should upgrade your site to the new version, keeping all the existing data.

1b. Create a brand new 2.3.2 install. Leave old courses running on the 1.9 site, but whenever a new course starts, create it on the new 2.3.2 site. You should be able to transfer the course structure (resources, activities) form 1.9 to 2.x using backup and restore, but that does not handle any of the data about what the students did, just the course structure.

1b is typically preferred, because you can move each course at the time when the teacher is ready, and because your new 2.3.2 site will be 'clean'.

You also need to think about any customisation that has been done. For example, do you  have a custom theme? If so, you will have to re-do that for Moodle 2.x.

If nothing else, you should probably set up a test server, with a copy of 2.3.x installed, where you can experiment, and get used to how the new version works, and what you need to do to configure it for your institution.

You should probably also plan to upgrade your 1.9.x site to 1.9.19 as soon as possible, but still proceed cautiously. Before doing any upgrading, the first thing to learn is how to take a complete backup of your Moodle site (Site backup) and restore it onto another server as a copy (Moodle migration). That ensures you can do distaster recovery. It also means that you can experiment with the upgrade on a copy, before doing it for real.

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Picture of Vicke Denniston

I have done upgrades both by upgrading the existing server, and creating a new install, and I would strongly encourage the latter. It turned out to be much easier in the long run, and if there were problems in converting courses, you still have the original environment to pull files out of.

Picture of llywelyn morgan

I agree.  The latter recommendation is my preference.  It does take longer but ensures that the new isntallation is clean without errors inherited from 1.9.  

The only problem I encountered (moving from 1.9 to 2.0 - what seems like a long time ago now!) was that some backed up courses would not restore to the new moodle.  I had to manually replace all activities and resources angry  Perhaps this is no longer the case with 2.3.

Picture of Patrick Coleman

This is the million dollar question .. I agree with the latter suggestion from above being the preference. We have the time for that. Our concern is whether the courses can be restored (don't need student data - just course activities) from 1.9 to 2.3?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Picture of llywelyn morgan

you should try the upgrade on a test site first.  that way, you can identify which courses restore properly.  when all is swimming well, replace old with new!

Picture of roc mehra

Hi,

I am also running 1.9 Why we need to upgrade.Whats the benefits.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Re: Currently running 1.9 .. why should we upgrade
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
There were "30 reasons to Move to Moodle 2" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=190211 an year ago. Must be more now.
smile

P.S. Changed the subject from "how should we upgrade" to "why should we upgrade".