There is no one available to have a Dialogue with.

There is no one available to have a Dialogue with.

by imbu danilot -
Number of replies: 12

Hello,

I get this when trying to create a dialogue from Student side (with the teacher).

strangely enough I was not getting the same before, not sure what changed, if I am missing something.....I recall I could create a dialogue without problems from student side too...

I found this old forum posts for the same where it was said to be a bug?

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=78228

I am experiencing the issue in ver 2.2.5

Thanks in advance

Imbu

Average of ratings: -
In reply to imbu danilot

Re: There is no one available to have a Dialogue with.

by imbu danilot -

Hello,

I resolved the issue, not an issue really.

The reason why I was getting that error is because in the dialogue activity only one dialogue at a time can be opened between Teacher and Student.

So if the teacher has already created a dialogue the user will be unable to create a new dialogue with the teacher, she-he must be using the existing dialogue at least until the teacher does not close the existing dialogue.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Imbu

In reply to imbu danilot

by Robert Brenstein -
There is a setting in the dialogue module which controls whether only one or more dialogues can be open between same two people.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Phil Everist -

HI - I've just had the latest version installed for testing in Moodle 2.3

I get this message even though I've selected one of the course edcuators (teachers) from the list presented

Is this because the module is not working yet for 2.3?

Regards

Phil

In reply to Phil Everist

by Troy Williams -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Phil,

What is the message you get?

Troy

In reply to imbu danilot

by Greg Thomson -

Greetings,

I wonder if any one can help with this problem.

A student is able to see the "Open a Dialoge" tab in the Dialoge module, enter text in the fields but after clicking "Submit Dialogue" sees the message "There is no one available to have a Dialogue with."

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Type of Dialoge is set to "Everyone". There are no open dialogues with this student. The course teacher can initicate dialogues but the student is unable to.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Moodle release 2.4+ (Build: 20121230) 
In reply to Greg Thomson

by Troy Williams -

Hi,

There is no official 2.4 Dialogue module support yet as been concentrating on total rewrite of code when time permits.

I do have the Dialogue master branch running in a Moodle 2.4 but it isn't fully tested. https://github.com/troywilliams/moodle-mod_dialogue. I would make sure you have latest master branch if you going to run in a Moodle 2.4.

The student should be able to open a dialogue with anyone under the "Everyone" setting. I have just checked on my Moodle 2.4 and is working as should.

So did the student select another person or was it a group from the dropdown field?

Also have you got the "Allow more than one dialogue with same person" setting set to yes?

Cheers

Troy

In reply to Troy Williams

by Greg Thomson -

Hi Troy,

Sorry for the delay. 

Type of Dialogue is set to "Everybody"

Allow more than one Dialogue with the same person is set to "Yes"

The student is able to select another person.

Unfortunately we aren't running the lastest version from the master branch. I will see if I can pursuade our server admin to install it but I'm not hopeful as it's a hosted solution. 

Thanks for your help and I look forward to the Dialogue rewrite. Can I request a Student-Teacher dialogue feature in addition to the Teacher-Student already present?

Your hard work and dedication are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

In reply to Greg Thomson

by Troy Williams -

Hi Greg,

There is now a 2.4 version of dialogue module in the plugins directory: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_dialogue

Might be worth upgrading also please ensure you get admin to backup important data incase need to roll back: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Upgrading#Backup_important_data, Also if you have I local/personal version of Moodle, I highly recommend you test on this first before upgrading. 

The new code will be using more capabilities api to control this behaviour and provide more flexibility e.g set roles that can open, receive etc, so you just override the role per course module (dialogue) to function as you want.

Regards,

Troy

In reply to Troy Williams

by Greg Thomson -

Thanks again Troy.

The new version looks like the perfect solution to our needs.

Cheers,

Greg

In reply to imbu danilot

by ahmed moahmed -

it's bad i need to talk with any one

لعبة زوما

In reply to ahmed moahmed

by Sarah Jane -

Can anyone help me please

I have setup the dialogue plugin (Brilliant facility) , the Dialogue box looks like it works as the teachers name is in the drop down, however, when the dialogue is entered the following error comes up:

There is no one available to have a dialogue with.

I have checked the settings and these are set as per the instructions.

I have tried to reload the plugin - still same message.

I saw a noticed regarding restarting the MySQL service but my host is saying they can't do this as it will affect our users.

so now I am stumped can anyone help me please.

Sarah x

In reply to imbu danilot

by Mark Berthelemy -

Hi there,

I'm having this problem with one of my users, but no others.

Settings are as per the screenshot below.

I'm using separate groups. The user can see all the members of the group, but gets the "There is no one available..." message when he tries to post.

Other users in his group can post OK.

I've checked and cannot see any differences in the group or permissions settings between the users. They were all uploaded at the same time.

I'm using Moodle 2.4, and Dialogue version 2012112900

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mark