Displaying Vote Results to Entire Class

Displaying Vote Results to Entire Class

by Jim Murray -
Number of replies: 2

I would like to use the CHOICE activity, but have a question:

After the voting is complete, as the teacher I would like to show the "results" screen to my class and generate some class discussion.  The problem is that, if I log into my Moodle page as the teacher, then the individual student names will be shown when I display the results.  No good there.

If I change roles to view the page as a "student", so that the voting displays anonymously, my CHOICE activity requires me to vote as the "student" before seeing the results...thereby skewing the actual voting by 1 vote!

So....my question is:

How, as the teacher, can I display the final voting results to my class for discussion....without also displaying the names of each student publicly?

PS - I realize I could log in as one of the students in my classroom....but is there any other way?  Surely there must be!

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Murray

Re: Displaying Vote Results to Entire Class

by Sergio Mazzarelli -

Dear Mr Murray,

After a little experimentation, I found that in my case (Moodle 2.3), I can do this in two ways:

(1) Under Publish Results, I choose "Always show results to students"

(2) I restrict answering to a certain time period and, under publish results, I choose "Show results to students only after the choice is closed".

In both cases, when I look at the Choice activity as a teacher, I can see a bar graph with the response count but without the names. The names appear only if I click on "View responses".

These workarounds are not perfect if one uses Moodle as an alternative to clickers in that with (1) students may be influenced by the choices of classmates who vote before them (visible on their mobile devices) and with (2) it may be cumbersome to set up the right time to end the activity, especially if multiple activities are used in succession. Ideally, one would want the teacher to be able to see the graph even when the students cannot.

If, however, the teacher asks the students to vote before the class and only wants to display the results in class, (2) seems fine. 

Best regards,

Sergio Mazzarelli

In reply to Sergio Mazzarelli

Re: Displaying Vote Results to Entire Class

by Sam Mudle -

These workarounds are not perfect if one uses Moodle as an alternative to clickers..

Have you tried the Realtime Quiz plugin (http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_realtimequiz)?

It basically replicates the features of a clicker in Moodle.  It will allow students to see the results of voting on questions that you set up in advance.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)