A single simple discussion forum not working with groups

A single simple discussion forum not working with groups

by Kristbjörg Olsen -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I have made a single simple discussion forum and the common module settings are set to visible groups, a specific grouping and Available for group members only. What happens is that all students can reply to the forum introduction. And it does not matter wether they choose their own group or not they can always reply - also if they choose All participants.

If the teacher chooses a group to send a reply to all the groups can read it. The teacher sees answers from all groups although he chooses a specific group in the list at the top. Basically all groups can read everything.
If I however choose Separate groups nobody can answer anything.

If I remember correctly the teacher did need to post the introduction to each group separately in order for the students to be able to reply. Now he cannot do that. He can reply himself to the forum introduction but it does not matter if he chooses a group or not, everybody sees everything.

Am I going crazy or what mixed Did single simple discussion not work with groups?

We are running Moodle 2.2.5

Please help,
thanks,
Kristbjörg

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristbjörg Olsen

Re: A single simple discussion forum not working with groups

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. According to the documentation here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Forum_settings (see the Group mode section):

Note: Single simple discussions cannot be set to separate groups (as this feature is not implemented). Instead, a standard forum should be used, with the teacher copying and pasting the same discussion topic for each separate group. If required, a permissions override may be set to prevent students from starting new discussions.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kristbjörg Olsen -

Thank you Mary but I am using visible groups and the groups are not working with the forum. I did only try the separate group setting in order to see how it affected things but now I know that is not the way to go ;) The problem still remains :/

In reply to Kristbjörg Olsen

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. Are you saying that you have a single simple discussion forum assigned to a particular grouping and that despite that, other groups in the course can see the forum? 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kristbjörg Olsen -

Hello,
No, the students in the grouping can write a reply to the forum introduction (which should not be possible), and which of course results in that everybody (within the grouping) can see the comment, all groups (within the grouping) can see all comments. Student can choose a group to make a comment but it makes no difference. Usually a forum which is set to groups is devided automatically into a forum for each group but that doesn't happen here.

From the teacher perspective: The teacher chooses a group to see only the descussion within a certain group but he always sees all discussions - just like when he chooses to see the discussions from all participants. If he chooses a group and writes a comment, all the groups (within the grouping) can see it.

Kristbjörg